100 years ago
may 8, 1913
The old building at the east end of the stone arch bridge is gone. Peace to its dust! For a long time it has been an unsightly thing and marred the appearance of the Park environs. In its place, the ladies of the Thimble Club will place flowerbeds and probably considerable permanent improvements. The site is now owned by the city, the property having been purchased by popular contribution. Marion continues to justify its claim to being the prettiest small city in Kansas.
The work of repairing and painting the seats in Central Park, and fixing them in permanent places, has been finished—another piece of excellent improvement. The urns, and the fountain, have been painted white. “Looks fine.”
Mr. Ogden has a camera that looks like a watch—it is scarcely larger in circumference and not a great deal thicker and takes fine pictures, an inch or so in diameter.
A special trainload of Wichita Boosters, out on a trade-extension trip, will spend the night of May 23 here. Marion should show these fine fellows what a real live town they have struck.
Sanctioned by the sentiment of our people and the laws of the state, Memorial Day has been set apart as a legal holiday in memory of the Union soldiers, dead and living, who offered their lives in the service of their country.