100 years ago
april 30, 1914
The city commissioners have ordered in three more blocks of paving — three blocks on Denver street, east from John Watson’s place to Dr. C.C. Jones’ place. Denver street is the first street north of the Presbyterian church. This paving will connect with the Elm street paving already in.
The Marion High School track team went down to Emporia last Saturday and carried off the honors in the Fourth District meet in which about a dozen schools were represented. This makes the third time that MHS has won the district meet in the five times it has entered.
A number of train loads of soldiers went through the other day and many folks gathered at the station to greet and cheer them. A great bunch of fellows.
The Jex bridge has been re-floored the past week.
“Dolly” was only a horse. That was all. But, for twenty-eight years, Al Nienstedt had owned her, and we’ll bet there was a feelin’ of sadness around his place when old Dolly died a few days ago. Dolly was the old sorrel mare that all the folks of the neighborhood knew by name. For three years, she has not been working but has had all the feed she wanted and all the care that any horse has had. She was thirty-two years old. Mr. Nienstedt bought her from Alfred Clark, paying $125 for her. She has raised ten colts and the last was raised when she was twenty-seven years old. If there is a horse heaven, old Dolly is certainly there.