Marion County Park and Lake’s fishing derby started with a quick catch on May 20 and will continue until May 31, 2015.
Robert Mueller of Wichita won $70 in the derby for catching a bluegill, one of four tagged fish of legal size.
Other species of fish include crappie, largemouth bass, and catfish. There is only one of each species tagged by Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks for a prize.
As winners emerge, pictures will be taken and displayed in the lake office.
The entry fee is $3 per species. Prize money will be 70 percent of total fees collected per species. The remaining 30 percent will be added to the county lake enhancement fund.
Entry tickets must be purchased prior to catching a tagged fish.
A running tally also will be kept and displayed in the lake office, and as sales increase, so will prize money throughout the year.
Once a tagged fish is caught, the derby ends for that particular fish.
For more information, call Lake Superintendent Steve Hudson at (620) 382-3240.