ARCHIVE

  • Last modified 109 days ago (April 4, 2018)

MORE

april 1, 1948

With approximately 40 head of the finest Herefords in Marion County entered by 10 breeders in the annual Hereford show Saturday, the day promises to be a real treat for cattlemen and spectators alike.

In a major business transaction on Marion Street, the Western Auto Associate Stone at 314 E. Main has been sold by George H. Miser to Ed McClain of Wichita. Mr. McClain has already taken over the management of the store.

Beginning April 5, all three schools will begin the day at 8:20 a.m. and close at 4 p.m., lengthening the day one hour through the school year. The move is necessary to make up time lost when there was insufficient fuel available to heat the school buildings.

James Blackim has applied for a visitor’s passport to Ireland and Scotland. He plans to leave New York June 2 on the S.S. American. He will spend two and a half months visiting relatives and friends in the two countries.

Boy Scouts of Marion will carry out a community-wide drive for scrap iron and steel beginning April 5. Sale of the scrap will go toward helping the Scouts pay for tools, material, and equipment for their “Hobby Shop,” being established in the Case building above Jackson’s clothing store.

Questioning of residents of the county continues by County Attorney Charles Ward and Sheriff Lloyd Davies into alleged gambling and liquor activity in the county.

Last modified April 4, 2018

Quantcast