• Last modified 705 days ago (Aug. 11, 2022)



These accident reports were released this past week by law enforcement agencies:


290th Rd. west of Vista Rd.

Montana S. Hayes, 20, Lincolnville, suffered what were termed disabling injuries at 5 a.m. July 30 when he drove a 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix off the left side of the road, hit a culvert, and rolled the car multiple times into a tree.

According to deputy Kaylan Miles, Hayes fell asleep while driving and, despite his injuries, escaped the wreckage and walked a mile to his home to get help. Deputies were called 50 minutes after the accident. An ambulance was not called.

Miles’s report said Hayes appeared to have been driving too fast for conditions, but no tickets were issued.

The car, owned by Frederick Hayes of the same address, was listed as destroyed.

US-50 west of Sunflower Rd.

Michael C. Henderson, 20, Bay City, Texas, reported injury but was not taken by ambulance to a hospital after he hit a deer at 9:20 p.m. Aug. 3 with a 2017 Toyota Camry owned by Fred K. Henderson of the same address.

The car sustained disabling damage to its front end and was towed.

US-77 north of 320th Rd.

Kelly R. Bell, 59, Burdick, hit a deer at 5:50 a.m. Aug. 5 with her 2017 Ford Escape, which sustained disabling damage and was towed.


D and Ash Sts.

In a fender-bender caught on video at 12:51 p.m. Aug. 2, vehicles driven by two 80-year-old Hillsboro drivers collided when both resumed travel after stopping at a four-way stop.

Maralyn K. Funk was ticketed for allegedly failing to yield to Ronald R. Herbel. Assistant chief Randal Brazil’s report states that Herbel had arrived at the intersection four seconds before Funk, according to video monitoring of the intersection and witnesses’ statements.

Funk’s northbound 2005 Chevrolet Impala sustained damage to its left rear and was spun around. The front end of Herbel’s westbound 2017 Ford Escape was damaged. Both vehicles remained operational, and no injuries were reported.

Ash St. and Orchard Dr.

Matthew J. Sikes, 20, Wichita, allegedly ran a stop sign at 9:34 p.m. Saturday at the east end of Orchard Dr. and drove his 2017 Ford Focus across Ash St., through an old curb cut, and more than 300 feet into an open field just north of Hillsboro’s police station.

The accident was discovered two hours later by part-time officer Evan Deneke, who reportedly was told by Sikes’s mother, whom Sikes had called for help, that Sikes was resting in her car nearby.

Initial radio dispatches indicated Sikes might have suffered a head injury, but emergency responders were called off, and Deneke’s report states that Sikes was dazed but not injured.

Noting that the intersection was well-lighted and that weather was not a contributing factor, Deneke blamed the accident on excessive speed and disobeying the stop sign. However, no tickets were issued.

Sikes’s car, which left a long trail of debris, was towed.

Ash St. north of B St.

A mailbox owned by David A. Paper in the 200 block of S. Ash St. was broken off its base by a hit-and-run driver between 7 and 7:30 a.m. Sunday.

Police attempted to find surveillance video but were unsuccessful.

Last modified Aug. 11, 2022