Blue-green algae alert issued for reservoir
A blue-green algae warning for Marion Reservoir went into effect Thursday, the first such warning of the season.
Kansas Department of Health and Environment provided the following guidelines for blue-green algae warnings:
- Lake water is not good to drink for humans, pets, or livestock.
- Water contact should be avoided.
- Fish can be eaten as long as they are rinsed with clean water, only the fillet portion is consumed, and all other parts are discarded.
- Do not allow pets to drink affected water or eat dried algae. They could become seriously ill.
- If lake water contacts skin, wash with clean water as soon as possible.
- Avoid areas of visible algae accumulation.
Alerts, guidance, and other information about blue-green algae are available online at www.kdheks.gov/algae-illness/. Up-to-date lake conditions are available by calling (785) 296-1664.