ARCHIVE

  • Last modified 140 days ago (April 3, 2019)

MORE

City tries to fix error on tower plans

Property owners sent proper notice of meeting on matter

Staff writer

The Marion planning and zoning commission is back at square one after public outcry over improper notification of property owners of an intended cell phone tower installation at Commercial and Forest Sts.

The commission will hold a public hearing on the cell phone tower application at 7 p.m. April 30, city administrator Roger Holter said.

“Written notification will be provided to all property owners within 200 feet of the project site,” Holter said in a written statement. “We encourage all interested parties to participate in the hearing to insure diverse perspectives and understanding of the benefits and impacts of this proposed project.”

Information about the meeting will be communicated through public notice in the official newspaper, social media, and the city website, Holter said in a written statement.

Council members tabled a proposal to approve building the tower last week after hearing from people who own property in the near the proposed tower.

Neighbors contended, and a lawyer representing them agreed, that a letter required to be sent to neighbors 20 days before

WIND

a Feb. 26 board of zoning appeals hearing was not mailed early enough to comply with the law.

Neighbors had other complaints as well.

Autumn Hanson, who lives and operates a dog grooming business just south of the proposed tower site, said the first newspaper advertisement of the proposal called the tower “a wireless communication facility,” not a “cell phone tower,” which was misleading.

She also said if the tower should fall, it could land on other people’s property.

Neighbors also expressed concerns about potential health risks associated with cell phone towers.

Neighbors sent a protest petition to the city after finding out a resolution would be submitted to the council during last week’s meeting.

Last modified April 3, 2019

Quantcast