Centre USD 397 Transportation Director Bob Mueller again tried to convince county commissioners Monday to consider putting gravel on a dirt road between 340th and 360th Sts. to no avail.
The biggest problem for bus drivers would come on bad weather days, when they will have to alter the route, taking more time.
The commission sympathized with Mueller, but didnot change their minds because the bus route is picking up Centre students in the Marion school district.
“We have an obligation in the district, but when we have to start crossing lines, we’ve got to see how far we can bend,” Commissioner Roger Fleming said.
The work for the road would cost $16,000, in addition to prep work and upkeep.
The commission also:
- Approved concrete and electric bids for the transfer station to move electric wires behind a hole in a wall. The hole will be filled in for a new ramp and push-wall.
- Approved up to $2,400 for Girl Scout Nicole Sanders to install a 540 square-foot flowerbed on the west side of the courthouse for her Silver Award project.
- Approved spending $1,900 with Associated Insulation Inc. to remove asbestos from the old jail.
- Approved giving Road and Bridge Superintendent Randy Crawford a $1,500 a year raise. The commission also approved giving part-time dump truck driver Blake Crawford a raise from $10 to $12 an hour.
- Approved the hire of Sharon Dover as a part-time real estate and property clerk and Scott Jones as a part-time seasonal worker.