• Last modified 2425 days ago (Nov. 29, 2012)


Deck the halls safely

Safe Kids Kansas reminds parents and caregivers to take a few precautions when decorating for Christmas and other winter festivities. Holiday decorations, especially candles and electrical lighting, can be a fire hazard.

  • Never leave a lighted Christmas tree or other lighting unattended. Inspect lights for exposed wires, loose connections and broken sockets. Do not overload outlets and do not run electrical cord under rugs.
  • To minimize the risk of fire with natural Christmas trees get a fresh tree and keep it watered. Do not put tree within 3 feet of a fireplace or heater.
  • Decorate with children in mind. Do not put ornaments that have small parts or metal hooks, or look like food or candy on lower branches where small children can reach them. Trim lower branches and keep lights out of reach.
  • Do not burn Christmas tree branches, treated wood or wrapping paper in a home fireplace.
  • Never leave burning candles unattended.

Prevent accidental poisoning:

  • Keep alcohol, including baking extracts and medications, out of reach.
  • Keep toxic color additives used in fireplace fires out of reach. Artificial snow sprays are also harmful if inhaled.
  • Holly berries, mistletoe berries, poinsettias, amaryllis, boxwood, Christmas rose, crown of thorns, English ivy and Jerusalem cherry are all potentially harmful if eaten. If a child eats any part of a non-food plant, call the Poison Control Center at (800) 222-1222.

Last modified Nov. 29, 2012