• Last modified 701 days ago (May 18, 2017)



The newspaper monitored these fire and ambulance calls this past week:


7:58 a.m. — A man in the 500 block of N. Freeborn St. with possibly life-threatening fluid retention was taken to St. Luke Hospital by Marion ambulance.

1:07 p.m. — A Hillsboro EMT volunteered to act as a first responder after Marion ambulance was dispatched to Hillsboro to evaluate a man who fell in the 100 block of S. Floral Dr. and was uncertain whether he needed to go to a hospital.

Nine minutes after the initial call, the first responder informed the ambulance, still en route, that the patient would need to be taken to a hospital. Six minutes later, the ambulance arrived, and six more minutes after that, Hillsboro firefighters were paged to help lift.

The patient arrived at Hillsboro Community Hospital at 2:02 p.m.

4:39 p.m. — Marion ambulance transferred a patient from HCH to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, returning to Marion at 8:13 p.m.

5:00 p.m. — Florence ambulance initially was called to help a hospice patient with food lodged in his throat, but the call was quickly cancelled.

5:57 p.m. — With Marion ambulance transferring an HCH patient to Wichita, Florence ambulance was dispatched to Marion at the request of a Marion firefighter to check a victim of a Main St. traffic accident who was having difficulty breathing. The ambulance arrived 15 minutes later but did not provide transportation to a hospital.

9:03 p.m. — A Florence firefighter noticed and investigated a controlled burn for which dispatchers had not been notified.

MAY 10

No fire or ambulance dispatches were monitored.


2:57 p.m. — Garbled transmissions seem to indicate that Peabody ambulance transported a patient with potentially life-threatening hypoxia to Newton Medical Center.

11:01 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance transferred a patient from HCH to Kansas Heart Hospital, Wichita.


2:30 p.m. — A man who was knocked from the back of a truck just east of Marion on K-256 was transported to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.

7:27 p.m. — Marion ambulance transferred a patient from St. Luke to Newton Medical Center.

7:56 p.m. — A preschooler with something in his eyes apparently was taken to the Florence ambulance garage for evaluation. Florence ambulance was paged. However, the child ended up being transported to St. Luke via private vehicle.

10:48 p.m. — Marion ambulance transferred a patient from St. Luke to Via Christi – St. Francis Hospital, Wichita.


10:18 a.m. — Goessel firefighters helped extinguish a controlled brush fire near K-15 and 140th Rd. that spread to a tree.

5:30 p.m. — A woman having trouble breathing at a residence on Upland Rd. near Marion County Lake was transported by Marion ambulance to St. Luke Hospital.

5:32 p.m. — Tampa ambulance and a Hillsboro first responder were dispatched to a possible heart attack at Jade and 230th Rd. The first responder arrived 13 minutes after the initial call; the ambulance, 12 minutes after that. The patient arrived at HCH at 6:08 p.m.

7:02 p.m. — Garbled transmissions appear to indicate that Peabody ambulance was dispatched but did not provide transportation.

7:47 p.m. — Marion ambulance transferred a patient from St. Luke to Wesley.


8:10 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance was dispatched to an apartment in the 500 block of W. Grand Ave. to help a fall victim get up. No transportation was provided.


5:23 a.m. — Marion ambulance was sent to the heated dock at Marion County Lake to help lift a person who declined to be taken to a hospital.

Last modified May 18, 2017