Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:
3:25 p.m. — A Hillsboro Community Hospital patient was transferred to Kansas Heart Hospital, Wichita, by Hillsboro ambulance.
9:35 p.m. — A 15-year-old boy whose appendix may have burst was taken by Peabody ambulance to Newton Medical Center from the 900 block of N. Olive St. in Peabody.
12:07 a.m. — A patient at St. Luke Hospital, Marion, was transferred to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, by Marion ambulance. Hillsboro’s fire chief, who is also an emergency medical technician, was paged to assist with the transfer and met the ambulance at Indigo Rd. and US-56.
1:27 a.m. — A small fire in a garbage can at a mobile home park in the 300 block of W. 3rd St. in Hillsboro was quickly extinguished by Hillsboro firefighters.
1:45 p.m. — A St. Luke patient was transferred to Newton Med by Marion ambulance.
3:36 p.m. — A accidentally activated medical alarm in the 100 block of S. Nickerson St. in Burns was checked by Burns first responders. Marion ambulance and the county emergency medical director turned around after learning it was a false alarm.
4:33 p.m. — An HCH patient was transferred to Via Christi – St. Francis hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.
8:55 a.m. — No one was found at home after a medical alarm sent Hillsboro ambulance, which had been in Marion, and two ambulance attendants who were in Hillsboro as first responders to an apartment in the 200 block of S. Ash St. in Hillsboro
No calls recorded.
5:24 a.m. — An HCH patient was transferred to Larned State Hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.
11:16 a.m. — An accidentally destroyed gas meter in the 500 block of N. Cedar St. was rendered safe by Marion firefighters until an Atmos Energy crew could arrive to complete repairs. Dispatchers originally provided two other addresses, three blocks away, before firefighters located the meter on their own.
3:35 p.m. — A Parkside Homes resident suffering leg pain was taken to Wesley by Hillsboro ambulance on her physician’s orders.
5:10 p.m. — A passed-out driver, possibly under the influence of drugs, who reportedly fell after emerging at a Peabody police officer’s request from a car parked near US-50 and Pawnee Rd. was checked but not taken to a hospital by Florence ambulance.
6:55 p.m. — An assortment of firefighters from throughout the county were on hand with extinguishers to deal with any fires at the demolition derby at the county fair in Hillsboro.
At one point, firefighters called for law enforcement officers to join them in the pit area. Reasons were not specified.
Hillsboro ambulance and the county’s backup ambulance, normally based in Marion, also were repositioned to the fairgrounds, as they had been most other nights of the fair.
Hillsboro ambulance reported treating one young male who may have been dosed with pepper spray for unexplained reasons.
8:45 p.m. — An 80-year-old woman having trouble breathing at Peabody Health and Rehab was taken to Newton Med by Marion ambulance. Peabody ambulance also answered the call as a first-response unit.
12:09 p.m. — A woman found by a flagged-down sheriff’s deputy to be lying on the ground outside Indian Guide Apartments in Peabody after her knees buckled was taken to St. Luke by Florence ambulance. Peabody ambulance also was paged but did not answer. Marion ambulance briefly headed toward Peabody but was turned around.
1:53 p.m. — A chirping fire and carbon dioxide alarm in the 300 block of N. Lincoln St. was checked by Hillsboro’s fire chief and found to have a weak battery/ Despite reporting a headache, sore throat, and stiff neck, the resident did not want an ambulance or more than one firefighter to respond.
5:38 p.m. —A 74-year-old woman with chest pains in the 200 block of S. Kennedy St. in Hillsboro was taken to Newton Med by Hillsboro ambulance
1:34 a.m. — A woman in a one-vehicle accident was complaining of leg and eye pain near US-50 and the Florence round-about, was taken to St. Luke by Florence ambulance.
2:44 a.m. — An 83-year-old woman who was bleeding in the 1500 block of E. Lawrence St., Marion, was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.
2:12 p.m. — Hillsboro firefighters responded to a general fire alarm at Hillsboro Community Hospital, firefighters were quickly disregarded as the hospital was testing the alarms.
2:19 p.m. — Marion firefighters were called to a small grass fire near US-77 and 170th Rd., which was started by a combine.
5:40 p.m. — Marion firefighters were called to a hayfield on fire near Remington and 180th Rds. Hillsboro and Florence firefighters were called for mutual aide.
8:20 p.m. — A 65-year-old woman who fell off her bike and broke her leg near 170th and Limestone Rds., was taken to Newton Med by Hillsboro ambulance.
9:39 p.m. — A man who fell in the 300 block of N. Walnut St., Marion was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.
Last modified Aug. 1, 2019