• Last modified 712 days ago (June 10, 2020)



Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:


12:52 a.m. — A medical alert on behalf of a 68-year-old woman in the 500 block of S. Cedar St., Marion, was determined by Marion ambulance to be an accidental alarm.


8:19 a.m. — An unresponsive Salem Home resident was revived by Hillsboro first responders, who arrived before the county ambulance director and Hillsboro ambulance, which had been in Marion from a training session. Marion ambulance also responded but was diverted to another call before it arrived. The resident was taken to Hillsboro Community Hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.

8:41 a.m. — Marion ambulance, diverted from the Salem Home call, determined that unresponsive person at a residence near Goldenrod and 150th Rds. had died. A coroner was dispatched. Peabody ambulance initially was called as well, but that call was canceled after Marion ambulance arrived.

12:52 p.m. — An HCH patient was transferred to Via Christi – St. Francis Hospital, Wichita, by Hillsboro ambulance.

4:37 p.m. — A woman who fainted, fell, and may have broken her ankle was taken by Hillsboro ambulance to HCH from a residence near 230th and Indigo Rds. Marion ambulance initially was dispatched as well, but that call was canceled.

5:16 p.m. — A patient at St. Luke Hospital, Marion, was transferred to Newton Medical Center by Marion ambulance.

9:16 p.m. — An HCH patient was transferred to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, by Hillsboro ambulance.


1:12 a.m. — For the second time in two days, Marion ambulance responded to an accidental alarm in the 500 block of S. Cedar St.


10:12 a.m. — Cooking set off a false alarm in the 200 block of N. Main St., Hillsboro. A Hillsboro firefighter dispatched to the residence responded, “It smells pretty good.”

4:23 p.m. — Burns firefighters initially were sent to help fight a structure fire in Cassoday, but the call was quickly canceled.

4:44 p.m. — A grass fire behind the county’s waste transfer station set at least one utility poles on fire, resulting in a power failure and brownout in parts of Marion. Firefighters trying to respond to the call struggled to get generators operating so they could open garage doors and gain access to fire trucks at the city’s powerless fire station. City electric crews eventually relieved the firefighters and restored power.

7:12 p.m. — A 26-year-old man suffering from heat exposure at a farm near Jade and 290th Rds. declined to be taken to a hospital by Tampa ambulance. First responders from Durham were requested as well but did not appear to answer the call.

8:12 p.m. — A Homestead Affordable Housing resident who activated a medical alarm after falling in a bathtub declined to be taken to a hospital by Marion ambulance.

11:31 p.m. — A Peabody Health and Rehab patient was transferred to St. Francis by Peabody ambulance. The ambulance had been destined for Newton Med but was diverted.


No fire or ambulance dispatches.


1:48 a.m. — A 61-year-old man with symptoms of heat stroke was taken to St. Luke from the 300 block of N. Washington St., Hillsboro, by Hillsboro ambulance. Four hours later, what appeared to be the same patient was transferred to Wesley by Marion ambulance.

9:12 a.m. — At the request of Chase County, which had only a Strong City ambulance available, ambulances from Marion and Florence and the county’s ambulance director were sent to a farm on 140th Rd. near French Creek, northeast of Cedar Point, for a report of an unresponsive woman who ultimately could not be revived.

All Marion County units arrived in less than 19 minutes and provided directions to the Chase County ambulance, which still had not reached Elmdale at the time. Eventually, a coroner was called.

12:01 a.m. — A patient transfer that had been requested minutes earlier was delayed so Marion ambulance could take to St. Luke a woman who twisted her ankle at Valley United Methodist Church..

12:19 p.m. — A truck fire near 370th and Pawnee Rds. was extinguished by Ramona and Tampa firefighters.

12:26 a.m. — A St. Luke patient was transferred to Newton Med by Peabody ambulance. Hillsboro ambulance was sent to St. Luke to stand by.

1:32 p.m. — A second St. Luke patient was transferred to St. Francis by Marion ambulance. Hillsboro ambulance returned to Hillsboro 12 minutes later.

1:54 p.m. — A third patient’s transfer to a Wichita hospital was delayed when a LifeTeam helicopter pilot who had landed at St. Luke reported, “I’ve got every single warning light on and I need maintenance, please.”

A second aircraft was dispatched from Salina, and Marion ambulance was placed on standby to drive the patient, but the original helicopter eventually lifted off at 4:15 p.m.

2:45 p.m. — An out-of-county motorist, passed out in a vehicle parked at Marion County Ace Hardware, was checked by Peabody ambulance, which had been flagged down by Marion police while ambulance attendants were getting supplies at the neighboring Marion ambulance station. The motorist declined to be taken to a hospital.


1:46 a.m. — A 74-year-old man who fell near 110th and Sunflower Rd. was helped up but not taken to a hospital by Peabody ambulance.

2:26 p.m. — A 93-year-old man who fell in the 400 block of N. F St., Ramona, was helped up by Tampa ambulance attendants. He declined to be taken to a hospital.

3:43 p.m. — Tampa firefighters provided mutual aid in fighting a fire at K-15 and 200th Ave. in Dickinson County.

6:08 p.m. — An 83-year-old St. Luke patient was transferred to Wesley by Marion ambulance.

10:29 p.m. — A sheriff’s deputy and Marion and Florence ambulances searched for more than half an hour for a almost incoherent woman who called dispatchers with an undescribed problem at an undisclosed location, thought by dispatchers to be near the 600 block of Marion St. of 800 block of Main St. in Florence. A deputy checked several locations and eventually determined no medical assistance was needed.

Last modified June 10, 2020