• Last modified 1054 days ago (Aug. 4, 2021)



Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:


8:48 a.m. — A cardiac patient was transferred by Marion ambulance from St. Luke Hospital, Marion, to Newton Medical Center.

4:29 p.m. — An unresponsive 47-year-old man who had accidentally overdosed on medication at Oakwood Manor apartments in Hillsboro revived sufficiently to decline being taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance. Marion ambulance also was called but was told by Hillsboro police to disregard the call after the victim regained consciousness. In a separate call about 12 hours later, the same victim, after having overdosed on medication, was found dead in his apartment.

6:06 p.m. — An 84-year-old woman with rapid heartbeat and difficulty breathing was taken by Marion ambulance to Newton Med from the 300 block of N. Walnut St. in Peabody. A lone attendant in Peabody ambulance assisted as a first responder.

7:41 p.m. — With Marion ambulance still in Newton, an 85-year-old man bleeding from a surgical incision was taken by Hillsboro ambulance to St. Luke from Pioneer Ct. at Marion County Lake.

11:48 p.m. — A malfunctioning fire alarm at Dakota Hall on the Tabor College campus in Hillsboro was silenced by Hillsboro firefighters after they found no evidence of smoke or flames.


Technical problems prohibited recording transmissions from 3:30 a.m. until 8:24 a.m. A trip to St. Luke by Marion ambulance and discovery of the fatal overdose victim’s body in Hillsboro occurred during this period.

8:08 p.m. — A baler on fire behind a house on Gilham Rd. at Marion County Lake was extinguished within 15 minutes by Marion firefighters.

8:28 p.m. — A 71-year-old man was transferred by Marion ambulance from St. Luke to Kansas Heart Hospital, Wichita.


12:01 a.m. — A 79-year-old man who may have suffered a heart attack in the 400 block of Floral Dr., Hillsboro, was taken to Newton Med by Hillsboro ambulance. Hillsboro firefighters helped lift the patient.

6:36 a.m. — A 23-year-old woman having an asthma attack in a parking lot at Johnson’s General Store, Florence, apparently declined to be taken to a hospital by Marion ambulance. Florence ambulance attendants also were paged but did not appear to respond.

8:37 a.m. — A 65-year-old woman short of breath and with pain near an abdominal incision was taken by Peabody ambulance to Newton Med from the 1100 block of N. Olive St., Peabody.

12:26 p.m. — Coolant leaking from an air conditioner at Tabor College’s library resulted in evacuation and a false fire alarm answered by Hillsboro firefighters and ambulance and briefly by Marion and Peabody firefighters.

7:44 p.m. — A 76-year-old woman who was found unconsciousness and later uncommunicative at a residence in the 500 block of Topeka St. in Lincolnville was taken by Marion ambulance to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita. A Lincolnville first responder and Lincolnville firefighter assisted. Tampa ambulance initially was dispatched as well, but that call was canceled.

10:31 p.m. — An 82-year-old woman with trouble breathing was taken by Marion ambulance to St. Luke from the 400 block of N. Roosevelt St. in Marion. A Marion police officer arrived first and arranged for entry into the house.


9:43 a.m. — Marion ambulance provided unspecified assistance for 30 minutes at St. Luke.

6:49 p.m. — A women who reported stomach, chest, and back pain after a hit-and-run accident on Maple St. south of Division St. in Peabody was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance. A single attendant in Peabody ambulance assisted along with Peabody firefighters and rescue squad members.

8:37 p.m. — A 78-year-old woman was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance from Hillsboro Community Hospital for surgery at McPherson Memorial Hospital.


9:14 a.m. — A woman described by a sheriff’s deputy as elderly, driving erratically, and possibly the victim of a seizure was stopped in front of D&J Liquor, Marion, and taken by Marion ambulance to St. Luke.

12:47 p.m. — A 53-year-old man who passed out, possibly from heat exhaustion, and hit his head in the 900 block of N. Vine St. in Peabody was taken to St. Luke by Peabody ambulance.

2:37 p.m. — A Parkside Homes resident in her 90s was transferred to HCH to be examined.

3:35 p.m. — A woman with a bloody knee after a domestic dispute in the 700 block of S. Washington St. in Hillsboro was checked by Hillsboro ambulance attendants but declined to be taken to a hospital.

9:20 p.m. — A 91-year-old woman who fell and injured her head and knees at Parkside Homes in Hillsboro was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.


7:08 p.m. — A 93-year-old man who fell in the 600 block of S. Wilson St. in Hillsboro was taken to Newton Med by Hillsboro ambulance.

7:51 p.m. — With Hillsboro ambulance not yet back from Newton, a 42-year-man complaining of general sickness in the 300 block of W. Main St. in Lehigh was taken to HCH by Marion ambulance.

9:30 p.m. — Using code words normally employed with COVID-19 cases, dispatchers sent Hillsboro ambulance to HCH to transfer a patient to Newton Med.


10:52 a.m. — Marion ambulance met a Chase County ambulance in Florence to provide advanced life support for a patient en route to Newton Med.

12:58 p.m. — An 18-year-old girl who fell near Indigo and 180th Rds. and possibly broke her ankle was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.

8:46 p.m. — An unconscious 60-year-old woman whose breathing was restarted by cardiopulmonary resuscitation was taken transported by Hillsboro ambulance from the 100 block of County Rd. in Tampa. The original destination was St. Luke in Marion, but the ambulance was diverted first to Newton Med and then to Via Christi – St. Francis in Wichita. The ambulance arrived at St. Francis more than two hours after the original call. Tampa ambulance and an off-duty EMT assisted at the scene.

Last modified Aug. 4, 2021