• Last modified 992 days ago (Oct. 7, 2021)



Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week:

SEPT. 28

1:41 a.m. — A 30-year-woman was transferred from Hillsboro Community Hospital to Salina Regional Hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.

3:40 p.m. — A patient declined to be taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance after a call that was only partially monitored.

6:26 p.m. — Marion and Lincolnville firefighters spent nearly two hours extinguishing a baler fire near 240th and Quail Creek Rds.

11:42 p.m. — A fire in a detached garage spread to a house at Washington and E Sts. in Hillsboro. Firefighters from Hillsboro, Durham, and Marion extinguished the fire after little more than an hour but remained on the scene until 3:14 a.m. Hillsboro ambulance also stood by during the fire.

SEPT. 29

3:58 a.m. — Just eight minutes after their last fire truck returned to its station, Hillsboro and Durham firefighters and Hillsboro ambulance were called to battle another fire that engulfed the second floor of a home at Schmidt Lane and Marion Sts. in Lehigh. Lehigh firefighters also were paged but, when none responded for more than 10 minutes, Goessel firefighters were paged as well. One Lehigh truck remained until 12:52 p.m., but all other firefighters were back in their stations by 7:32 a.m.

11:37 a.m. — A resident of Parkside Homes, Hillsboro, was taken to Via Christi – St. Francis Hospital, Wichita, by Hillsboro ambulance. Details of the call were garbled.

2:02 a.m. — Lehigh firefighters were called to check smoldering remains of the 3:58 a.m. house fire and sprayed water on remaining hot spots.


11:10 a.m. —A woman in her 60s whom a meal delivery person found lying on the floor after having fallen the night before was taken by Hillsboro ambulance to Newton Medical Center from the 200 block of S. Lincoln St. in Hillsboro. Hillsboro firefighters helped lift the woman.

11:31 a.m. — A woman who fell and may have broken her wrist at a residence in the 700 block of Lawrence Ave. in Durham was taken to HCH by Tampa ambulance. First responders from Durham and Marion ambulance also were dispatched to the call.


8:18 a.m. — An 82-year-old woman who said she was in pain and unable to walk was taken to Newton Med by Hillsboro ambulance from a residence on 140th Rd. between K-15 and Chisholm Trail Rd. Goessel first responders were paged but did not answer.

10:37 a.m. — An 83-year-old man who passed out with chest and arm pain in the 300 block of S. Roosevelt St. in Marion was taken to St. Luke Hospital, Marion, by Marion ambulance.

1:58 p.m. — A hospice patient was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance from McPherson Hospital to Salem Home, Hillsboro.

3:41 p.m. — A St. Luke patient was transferred to McPherson Hospital by Marion ambulance.

9:40 p.m. — A 72-year-old man needing emergency surgery was transferred from St. Luke to McPherson Hospital by Marion ambulance.


8:23 a.m. — A pregnant 18-year-old experiencing contractions five to 10 minutes apart at a residence in the 500 block of Lawrence Ave. in Durham was taken to Newton Med by Tampa ambulance. A Durham first responder arrived before the ambulance.

7:46 p.m. — A 31-year-old man suffering a seizure in the 800 block of N. Elm St. in Peabody was taken to St. Luke by Peabody ambulance. Marion ambulance also was dispatched but was called off by Peabody EMTs.

7:51 p.m. — A 50-year-old man who would not answer a follow-up message after having texted a friend that he was having trouble breathing was taken from a farmhouse near 350th and Diamond Rds. to Herington Hospital by Tampa ambulance, which was summoned using code words normally reserved for possible COVID-19 cases.

9:02 p.m. — Lincolnville firefighters determined that a carbon monoxide warning reported by an alarm company for a home in the 600 block of N. Newton St. in Lincolnville was a false alarm. Marion ambulance initially was dispatched but was turned back after residents showed no symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.


11:03 a.m. — An HCH trauma patient was transferred to St. Francis by Hillsboro ambulance.

11:21 a.m. — A bicycle rider, unconscious and bleeding from the mouth after being hit by a car in the 100 block of S. Main St. in Hillsboro, was taken to St. Francis by Marion ambulance. First responders from Hillsboro administered cardiopulmonary resuscitation and revived the bicyclist before the ambulance arrived.

4:37 p.m. — A 64-year-old woman with chest and abdominal pain was taken by Marion ambulance to St. Luke from a car parked outside a Hilltop Manor apartment in Marion.

4:48 p.m. — A woman complaining of neck pain after a traffic accident near US-56/77 and 330th Rd. was taken to St. Luke by Tampa ambulance. First responders from Lincolnville assisted.

6:47 p.m. — A 12-year-old boy was reported to have life-threatening injuries after a 10-year-old boy accidentally shot him at a farmhouse on 290th Rd. between Chisholm Trail and Diamond Rds.

A bullet reportedly went through the 12-year-old’s wrist and into his chest, lodging in his shoulder. A first responder from Durham provided initial care until Tampa and Hillsboro ambulances arrived.

Hillsboro ambulance, with Tampa EMTs also on board, took the boy to HCH’s helipad for transfer to a LiveSave helicopter ambulance.


11:34 p.m. — A fire alarm at Tabor College townhouses was determined by Hillsboro firefighters to have been a false alarm caused by a cooking accident.

Last modified Oct. 7, 2021