• Last modified 944 days ago (Nov. 11, 2021)



Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:

NOV. 2

3:29 p.m. — A man who fell at Homestead Affordable Housing in Marion declined to be taken to a hospital by Marion ambulance.

4:27 p.m. — A respiratory patient at Hillsboro Community Hospital was transferred to Newton Medical Center by Hillsboro ambulance.

6:39 p.m. — A diabetic 76-year-old woman who fell in the 300 block of Grandview St. in Florence and was not breathing received cardiopulmonary resuscitation from family members and two Florence firefighters, then three epinephrine injections from Marion ambulance before being taken to St. Luke Hospital, Marion, where a family member requested last rites. Florence first responders were dispatched but did not answer. Hillsboro ambulance also was dispatched but was told to disregard the call.

11:13 p.m. — A fire alarm set off by a cooking accident on a stove in a common room at Cedar Hall dormitory at Tabor College in Hillsboro was reset by Hillsboro firefighters.

NOV. 3

Technical problems prevented monitoring of dispatches from 7:55 p.m. Nov. 3 until 3:34 a.m. Thursday.


8:05 a.m. — A 93-year-old woman slurring her words after a recent fall at Salem Home in Hillsboro was taken by Hillsboro ambulance to Ascension Via Christi St. Francis Hospital, Wichita.

3:20 p.m. — HCH asked for assistance from Hillsboro ambulance, which then transferred a patient to McPherson Hospital.


9:28 a.m. — A man having chest pains in the 300 block of S. Ash St. in Hillsboro declined to be taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.

10:28 a.m. — A 56-year-old woman having chest pains was taken to Newton Med by Peabody ambulance from the 400 block of N. Locust St. in Peabody. A lone first responder from Peabody and one of two attendants from the county backup ambulance based in Marion accompanied the patient.

4:56 p.m. — A 76-year-old man feeling weak at a farmhouse near 130th and Indigo Rds. declined to be taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance. Peabody ambulance also was dispatched but later was told to disregard the call, which all ambulance crews noted had been extremely garbled.

5:35 p.m. — Three minutes after Hillsboro ambulance radioed that it was returning to its base, it was sent back to the same intersection for a one-vehicle accident in which occupants of the vehicle were reported — wrongly, it seems — as being entrapped. They declined to be taken to a hospital. Hillsboro rescue squad and firefighters also responded as did a county road and bridge crew summoned to address damage to a bridge guardrail.

6:56 p.m. — A 89-year-old man who fell at a farmhouse east of 120th and Remington Rds. declined to be taken to a hospital. Marion and Peabody ambulances responded to the call.

7:30 p.m. — Lincolnville firefighters helped direct traffic after a car-deer accident at 270th Rd. blocked US-56/77.

7:51 p.m. — A Goessel first responder standing by during a Goessel football game requested an ambulance but later canceled the request, saying the patient’s parents would take the patient to a hospital by private vehicle after the game.


2:56 p.m. — Marion ambulance was told to disregard a request to check a reportedly uninjured woman who had been involved in a car-semi accident originally reported at US-50 and Bluestem Rd. in Marion County but later determined to have be in Chase County.

7:05 p.m. — After 15 minutes of searching by Hillsboro and Peabody ambulances, a vehicle driven by a man who had called a friend to say he was about to pass out was located in a tree line half a mile east of Indigo Rd. and about 100 feet sound of 90th Rd. Peabody firefighters and, at the request of a deputy sheriff, Hillsboro firefighters and rescue squad members were called, ostensibly to free the driver but later merely to carry him back to the road. He eventually was taken by Hillsboro ambulance, with one Peabody EMT on board, to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, to which the ambulance was diverted from Newton Med.

10:50 p.m. — Another fire alarm, set off by a defective stove, at Cedar Hall dorm at Tabor was reset by Hillsboro firefighters, who also disconnected the stove.

11:37 p.m. — A Hillsboro police officer took a suspect to the Hillsboro ambulance station for a sobriety blood test.


10:14 a.m. — In a dispatch so garbled ambulance attendants apparently received information by phone instead of radio, Marion ambulance took a patient with undisclosed issues from an undisclosed location to Newton Med.

12:47 p.m. — The bleeding arm of what was described as an uncontrollable female resident of Peabody Health and Rehab was bandaged by a Peabody ambulance attendant, but neither Peabody ambulance nor Marion ambulance, which also was dispatched, appeared to have transferred her as requested to Newton Med.

8:59 p.m. — A LifeSafe helicopter ambulance transferred a patient from HCH to North Kansas City Hospital.


12:47 p.m. — A St. Luke patient was transferred to Wesley by Marion ambulance.

3:49 p.m. — An 83-year-old woman awake but not alert was taken by Hillsboro ambulance from Parkside Homes to Newton Med.

4:54 p.m. — Even before being dispatched, Marion ambulance and a Marion police officer arrived to help someone who reportedly had fallen at an undisclosed location. A woman was taken by ambulance to St. Luke while a man, reported by the police officer to be intoxicated, was driven there by the officer to prevent the man from driving.

7:32 p.m. — A 64-year-old man on blood thinners, bleeding after he hit his head, was taken by Peabody ambulance to Wesley from the 800 block of N. Olive St. in Peabody. Marion ambulance assisted, with one attendant accompanying the patient to Wesley.

9:46 p.m. — Without being dispatched by radio, Hillsboro ambulance, which had been filling in for Marion ambulance, announced that it was transferring a patient from St. Luke to Wesley. Dispatchers immediately relayed a request from St. Luke that a Marion police officer escort a possibly intoxicated man home to the vicinity of Sherman and Elm Sts.

11:29 p.m. — An 89-year-old man who fell at a farmhouse on 120th Rd. near Remington Rd. was helped up by a home health care worker and declined to be taken to a hospital by Peabody ambulance. At 1:24 a.m. Tuesday, after the home care worker had left, Peabody ambulance was called back. The patient again declined to be taken to a hospital.

Last modified Nov. 11, 2021