• Last modified 747 days ago (June 30, 2022)



Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:


9:03 a.m. — A 78-year-old driver, trapped for nearly half an hour after his car ran off Chisholm Trail Rd. near 120th Rd., was extricated by Goessel firefighters and Hillsboro rescue squad and was taken to St. Luke Hospital, Marion, by Hillsboro ambulance after he received initial care from Goessel first responders.

10:36 a.m. — A woman and a child spotted by railroad workers standing next to a wrecked vehicle at Quail Creek and 70th Rds. had left the scene by the time Marion ambulance and Peabody ambulance, firefighters, and rescue squad members arrived.

11:56 a.m. — A 65-year-old man experiencing chest pains at Oakwood Manor Apartments in Hillsboro was taken to Hillsboro Community Hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.

1:02 p.m. — An HCH patient was transferred on an emergency basis by Hillsboro ambulance to Kansas Heart Hospital, Wichita.

2:28 p.m. — Non-emergency transfer by Marion ambulance of a patient from St. Luke to Salina Regional Health Center was delayed until 3:16 p.m. to allow Hillsboro ambulance to reach near Walton on its return to the county from Wichita.

5:55 p.m. — A St. Luke patient was transferred by Lifesafe helicopter ambulance to Stormont Vale Hospital, Topeka.


3:38 a.m. — A 75-year-old woman with an altered level of consciousness and running a fever of 103 was taken by Hillsboro ambulance to NMC Health, formerly Newton Medical Center, from the 400 block of S. Cedar St. in Hillsboro.


7:29 a.m. — An 89-year-old man at Bethesda Homes in Goessel was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance on a non-emergency basis to Mercy Hospital, Moundridge.

5:28 p.m. — A 75-year-old woman who fell at a farmhouse south of 190th Rd. on Jade Rd. was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.


1:06 a.m. — A diabetic woman described as emotionally disturbed and suicidal was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance from the 200 block of W. 6th St. in Florence. Dispatch of the ambulance was delayed while dispatchers twice asked a sheriff’s deputy, not yet at the residence, whether an ambulance should be assigned. Both times, the deputy said it should.

5:23 a.m. — Peabody ambulance attendants and firefighters help lift a male patient wedged on the floor in a bathroom at Peabody Health and Rehab. He declined to be taken to a hospital.

8:01 a.m. — A 78-year-old man who fell at a farmhouse near 150th and Chisholm Trail Rds. was taken to NMC by Hillsboro ambulance. First responders from Goessel were paged but did not answer.

12:12 p.m. — A woman who became dizzy after receiving acupuncture at Fay Family Chiropractic in Marion was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.


1:50 p.m. — A 69-year-old man who suffered a seizure at a fireworks stand in the 500 block of E. 9th St. in Peabody was taken to HCH by Peabody ambulance. The call originally went to Marion ambulance, but Peabody ambulance attendants informed dispatchers they had a full crew and would respond as well, arriving 15 minutes before Marion ambulance. The patient wasn’t transported until 10 minutes after Marion ambulance arrived.

7:50 p.m. — A 13-year-old boy with a cut on his face and pain in his nose was taken to St. Luke by Hillsboro ambulance after an automated alarm indicative of a traffic accident briefly sent Hillsboro rescue squad and ambulance and Marion firefighters to Mustang Rd. south of 160th Rd.

10:30 p.m. — What appeared to be the same patient was transferred by Marion ambulance from St. Luke to a trauma unit at Ascension Via Christi St. Francis Hospital, Wichita.


1:08 a.m. — A driver injured in a traffic accident at US-56/77 and 330th Rd. was taken to St. Luke by Tampa ambulance. Lost Springs firefighters, Marion rescue squad members, and Tampa ambulance initially were paged. Marion’s fire chief questioned the need for the rescue squad if the driver already had exited the vehicle but decided to respond anyway. A Lincolnville first responder suggested than she also be sent and asked for Lincolnville firefighters to be paged to provide her a driver.

6:11 a.m. — A emergency room patient at HCH was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance to McPherson Center for Health.

3:20 p.m. — At a deputy’s request, Hillsboro ambulance checked four people, including two children, involved in an accident in which a pickup truck and a 34-foot camper trailer it was pulling turned onto their sides, blocking US-56 near Mustang Rd. All declined to be taken to a hospital. Three deputies directed traffic at the scene for nearly two hours.

3:44 p.m. — A Salem Homes patient with high blood pressure was transferred by Marion ambulance on a non-emergency basis to St. Luke.

8:15 p.m. — A woman found lying unconscious in a yard along Lakeshore Dr. between Jerome St. and Dan Dr. at Marion County Park and Lake woke up, was checked by Marion ambulance attendants, and declined to be taken to a hospital.


1:30 a.m. — Brush piles and trees on fire on both sides of US-50 east of the Cottonwood River bridge at Florence and near a house at 120th Rd. and US-50 were, an hour after being reported by passersby, claimed as a controlled burn by a landowner. Florence firefighters spent nearly three hours monitoring the fires, which a sheriff’s deputy told dispatchers might have been set by an intoxicated person.

9:26 a.m. — A woman with abdominal pain at a farmhouse near 180th and Wagonwheel Rd. was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.

12:50 p.m. — A 68-year-old woman being treated for sepsis was transferred on a non-emergency basis from St. Luke to St. Francis by Marion ambulance.

1:01 a.m. — A jailer who also works as a Peabody ambulance attendant took an inmate from the county jail to St. Luke in a sheriff’s department vehicle.

3:29 p.m. — Transfer of a 72-year-old woman from St. Luke to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, was delayed about an hour while Marion ambulance returned from its previous trip to Wichita.

10:34 p.m. — The sole occupant of a car that hit a cow on 190th Rd. near Pawnee Rd. was freed by Marion firefighters, who arrived within three minutes, then was treated by medics from Marion ambulance, who arrived 13 minutes later. The road was at least partially blocked for more than half an hour. The driver, who bumped her head in the collision, declined to be taken to a hospital. Firefighters remained on the scene until midnight.

Last modified June 30, 2022