• Last modified 404 days ago (Jan. 19, 2023)



Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:

JAN. 10

1 a.m. — Hillsboro Community Hospital asked for a patient to be transported back to Parkside Homes, but transmissions do not indicate that the transfer was made.

11:52 a.m. — A 66-year-old woman was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance from HCH to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita, for heart catheterization. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 2:31 p.m.

3:38 p.m. — A man who had been drinking and reportedly attempted suicide at a rental home in the 300 block of Locust St. in Marion was taken to St. Luke Hospital by Marion ambulance, which waited for police to arrive before examining the patient.

7 p.m. — A Parkside Homes resident was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance to McPherson Center for Health. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 8:57 p.m.

7:28 p.m. — A smoke alarm at Tabor College townhouses was determined by Hillsboro firefighters to have been a false alarm.

9:16 p.m. — St. Luke asked for Marion ambulance to take a 43-year-old man from St. Luke to Salina Regional Health Center for psychological evaluation. Five minutes after the call came in, medics about Marion ambulance informed dispatchers, without elaboration, that they would not be transporting the patient.

JAN. 11

4:31 a.m. — A 72-year-old man having trouble breathing in the 200 block of S. Buller St. in Goessel was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance. A Goessel first responder tended the patient for 12 minutes before the ambulance arrived.

3:19 p.m. — A fire alarm from California Hall in the Tabor College men’s quad was determined by Hillsboro firefighters to have been a false alarm.

8:28 p.m. — An 86-year-old man with trouble breathing at Salem Home was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.

10:22 p.m. — A 12-year-old boy with chronic breathing problems at a rental home in the 100 block of S. Cedar St. in Hillsboro was taken by Hillsboro ambulance to HCH. Hillsboro first responders and Marion ambulance initially were called as well, but the call to Marion ambulance was canceled.

11:56 p.m. — Unexplained activation of a medical alarm worn by a 99-year-old woman at a farmhouse near 20th and Wagon Wheel Rds. resulted in dispatching Marion ambulance and Burns first responders. The alarm company was able to reach the woman three minutes later and cancel the call.


8:44 p.m. — An uncommunicative female resident of Hilltop Manor apartments in Marion, reportedly able to answer a phone but not talk on it, declined to be taken to a hospital by Marion ambulance.


12:38 a.m. — A fire alarm at Cedar Hall on the Tabor College campus was determined by Hillsboro firefighters to have been a false alarm.

12:43 p.m. — A 78-year-old man who fell down a set of stairs at a residence southeast of Eastmoor Dr. in Marion was taken to NMC Health, formerly Newton Medical Center, by Marion ambulance. A police officer helped locate the resident for medics. The ambulance returned to Marion at 3:33 p.m.

7:36 p.m. — A 78-year-old woman feeling ill and vomiting at a house on Jerome St. at Marion County Park and Lake was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.

10:51 p.m. — A St. Luke patient was transferred by Marion ambulance to Ascension Via Christi St. Francis Hospital, Wichita. The ambulance returned to Marion at 1:54 a.m.


Reception on both of the newspaper’s recording scanners was severely garbled much of the day. Additional calls or details about these calls may have been missed.

12:05 p.m. — Tampa and Marion ambulances were dispatched to a garbled call, apparently in Tampa. Marion medics were told they would not be needed, and Tampa ambulance took a patient to HCH.

1:42 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance and Goessel first responders were sent to a farmhouse on Eagle Rd. for a 15-year-old girl having seizures.

3:27 p.m. — Hillsboro firefighters spent half an hour extinguishing a grass fire at a garbled location.

5:31 p.m. — Two extremely garbled calls were dispatched at roughly the same time — one apparently to Salem Home, where a patient was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance, and the other to a report of a person found hanging near Last Chance Bait and Tackle, east of Marion Reservoir. Marion ambulance was called to the reservoir incident and then relieved by Hillsboro ambulance, medics from which then pronounced the victim dead.

10:40 p.m. — A 69-year-old man fell and may have broken his shoulder at a residence in the 200 block of N. Elm St. in Peabody. Acting as a first responder, a lone emergency medical technical aboard Peabody ambulance evaluated the patient, helped him get his arm in a sling, and eventually called off Hillsboro ambulance, informing its medics that the patient planned to travel to NMC Health by private vehicle. The Hillsboro medics alerted the hospital and made certain it was prepared to handle orthopedic patients.


12:33 a.m. — Two minutes after Hillsboro firefighters were alerted to a fire alarm at Salem Home, dispatchers called them off, saying that the nursing home had determined that a resident had activated the alarm without there being a fire.

6:45 a.m. — A 67-year-old woman with trouble breathing was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance from HCH to NMC Health. The ambulance returned to the county at 8:27 a.m.

7:25 a.m. — A 41-year-old woman with chest pain and a history of heart failure was taken to HCH by Tampa ambulance from the 300 block of S. Roosevelt St. in Tampa. Marion ambulance also was dispatched but was called off after Tampa ambulance evaluated the patient.


1:57 a.m. — A 78-year-old man with an elevated heart rate at Peabody Health and Rehab was taken to NMC Health by Hillsboro ambulance. A lone EMT in Peabody ambulance arrived 12 minutes before Hillsboro ambulance.

1:46 p.m. — A 24-year-old man was transferred from St. Luke to Wesley by Marion ambulance. The ambulance returned to Marion at 4:29 p.m.

Last modified Jan. 19, 2023