• Last modified 407 days ago (April 13, 2023)



Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:


8:06 a.m. — At Harvey County’s request, Peabody firefighters were sent to US-50 and East Lake Rd. (Marion County’s Indigo Rd. extended) for a vehicle fire, but the call almost immediately was canceled.

1:02 p.m. — A driver trapped and injured when his semi-trailer truck jackknifed and rolled over on Indigo Rd. near 120th Rd. was taken by Hillsboro ambulance on an emergency basis to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita. Goessel firefighters and first responders and Hillsboro rescue squad members also were dispatched, and Marion ambulance briefly headed that way. Responders helped round up cattle that escaped from the semi-trailer.

1:43 p.m. — Ambulance officials conferred with Hillsboro Community Hospital about delaying a requested transfer of a patient from HCH to McPherson Center for Health. At 4:20 p.m., immediately upon its return from Wichita, Hillsboro ambulance reported to HCH and transferred the patient. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 5:48 p.m.

1:49 p.m. — Burns firefighters spent 2½ hours helping Butler County firefighters battle fires near Rosalia and Cassoday.

4:33 p.m. — St. Luke Hospital inquired about transferring a patient on a non-emergency basis to NMC Health, formerly Newton Medical Center, but was told the transfer would have to wait until Hillsboro ambulance returned. While waiting, another call intervened. At 6:59 p.m., the transfer eventually was made by Marion ambulance after it had taken another patient to St. Luke.

5:29 p.m.— With Tampa ambulance out of service, Hillsboro ambulance still returning from McPherson, and the St. Luke transfer pending, Marion ambulance, using the county’s backup vehicle normally based in Hillsboro, was dispatched to 330th and Limestone Rds., where a bicycle rider apparently had fallen and injured his head. An off-duty EMT who monitored the call was first on the scene and attempted to find another EMT to activate Tampa ambulance. He called that off, however, after it became clear Marion ambulance would arrive first. The county’s ambulance director also arrived before Marion ambulance, which eventually took the man to St. Luke and then completed the pending transfer to NMC Health. The ambulance returned to Marion at 8:39 p.m.

5:49 p.m. — With Marion ambulance busy, a lone EMT aboard Tampa ambulance and a lone EMT aboard Peabody ambulance were sent to HCH to transfer a patient via Peabody ambulance to NMC Health. Tampa ambulance returned to Tampa at 8:18 p.m. Peabody ambulance returned to Peabody at 8:39 p.m.

8:55 p.m. — A 60-year-old woman needing wound care was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance from HCH to McPherson Center for Health. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 11:13 p.m.

9:27 p.m. — Burns firefighters helped Butler County firefighters battle a fire along US-77 in Butler County.


12:01 a.m. — A 63-year-old woman with an elevated protein level indicating a possible heart attack was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance from HCH to Kansas Heart Hospital, Wichita. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 2:40 a.m.

3:06 a.m. — Firefighters from Durham, Herington, Lincolnville, Lost Springs, Ramona, and Tampa spent more than 12 hours battling a fire that destroyed a barn and a house near 330th and Nighthawk Rds. Tampa ambulance stood by and provided relief for firefighters. Union Pacific trains were told to avoid the area. Ramona firefighters returned at 6:58 p.m. and spent 1½ additional hours tending to hot spots.

9:26 a.m. — A man in his 40s, barely breathing at a farmhouse near 150th and Eagle Rd. after being released the night before from Ascension Via Christi St. Francis Hospital in Wichita, received cardiopulmonary resuscitation from a caller and from Goessel first responders until being taken back to St. Francis by Hillsboro ambulance. Medics aboard Marion ambulance and the county’s ambulance assisted.

3:07 p.m. — Marion firefighters spent 30 minutes washing down gasoline that leaked from a vehicle at Casey’s General Store in Marion.


12:09 p.m. — Burns firefighters spent 3½ hours helping Butler County firefighters fight a fire near Cassoday.

2:19 p.m. — A confused man dropped off by an unidentified taxi service at Hillsboro Hometown Pharmacy was taken at the request of Hillsboro police to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.

3:02 p.m. — A controlled burn that grew out of control at 90th and Yarrow Rds. was brought back under control within 30 minutes by Florence firefighters.

3:37 p.m. — Peabody firefighters spent less than an hour helping fight a controlled burn that grew out of control on Harvest Hill Rd. in Harvey County.

5:34 p.m. — Marion firefighters spent about an hour battling a small, out-of-control grass fire at 240th and Alfalfa Rds.

6:16 p.m. — Peabody firefighters supervised a controlled burn south of 80th and Newell Rds.


12:30 p.m. — A grass fire suspected of being started by a train along 30th Rd. between Mustang and Nighthawk Rds. was battled for two hours by Peabody firefighters.

3:01 p.m. — For nearly three hours, Peabody and Goessel firefighters helped Harvey County firefighters fight a grass fire at NE 24th and Rock Rds.

4:35 p.m. — An unattended, formerly controlled burn of corn stubble along the west side of Cedar St. south of US-56 in Marion was brought under control within an hour by Marion firefighters.

5:59 p.m. — An 83–year-old woman who fell at a residence on Kruse St. in Marion Reservoir’s Eastshore subdivision was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.


10:56 a.m. — A once-controlled grass fire that spread to a van converted into a shed at 210th and Alfalfa Rds. was battled for two hours by Marion, Florence, and Lincolnville firefighters. Marion ambulance and the county emergency manager also responded to the call.

1:55 p.m. — Less than half an hour after firefighters returned to Marion, they were called back to 210th and Alfalfa Rds. after the fire jumped a fence and spread to the north. Firefighters did not get back to Marion until 4:28 p.m.

6:20 p.m. — A 20-year-old man suffering a panic attack, reportedly after drinking too many energy drinks, contacted a lone EMT on call in Peabody and asked to be taken to NMC Health by Hillsboro ambulance. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 8:22 p.m.

8:40 p.m. — At a physician’s request, Hillsboro ambulance made an emergency transfer of a 34-year-old man from Bethesda Home in Goessel to Wesley. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 11:41 p.m.


2:33 p.m. — Fire that began at a backyard barbecue and spread to a deck and then to the rear of a house in the 200 block of S. Ash St. in Hillsboro was battled for nearly three hours by firefighters from Hillsboro, Marion, and Durham. Hillsboro ambulance and the county emergency manager also responded.

6:52 p.m. — An 84-year-old woman complaining of pain was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance to Wesley from Salem Home in Hillsboro. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 9:01 p.m.


8:40 a.m. — Hillsboro firefighters returned to check remnants of Sunday’s house fire on S. Ash St.

10:41 a.m. — A 57-year-old woman with stroke-like symptoms at Homestead Senior Residences in Marion was examined by the county’s ambulance director and taken to St. Luke by Hillsboro ambulance, which responded after Marion ambulance opted to go instead to a subsequent call.

10:44 a.m. — Twenty-four minutes after a Marion police officer and a sheriff’s deputy entered a residence in the 300 block of S. 4th St. in Marion, the deputy called for an ambulance for the victim of a gunshot wound, later characterized as a suicide. Marion ambulance redirected from Homestead Senior Residences to handle the call. A coroner arrived at 11:07 a.m.

12:34 a.m. — A 24-year-old woman who suffered a seizure while sitting outside a residence in the 100 block of W. Jefferson St. in Marion was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.

5:25 p.m. — A Lincolnville firefighter noticed that a controlled burn at 290th and Timber Rds. had grown out of control. His department was summoned and spent about an hour battling the blaze. The county’s emergency manager helped direct traffic away from dense smoke.

5:46 p.m. — Marion firefighters supervised a controlled burn of five acres west of Fairway Dr. in Marion.

6:25 p.m. — Still returning from the fire at 290th and Timber, Lincolnville firefighters were dispatched to another out-of-control grass fire at 280th and Xavier Rds. As the scope of the fire became apparent, Lost Springs and Marion firefighters also were dispatched. The departments spent nearly 3½ hours fighting the fire.

7:41 p.m. — A reportedly uninjured 64-year-old woman who fell at a home in the 200 block of S. Lincoln St. in Hillsboro was helped up by Hillsboro ambulance attendants. She declined to be taken to a hospital.

8:38 p.m. — Trees smoldering four days after a controlled burn at 240th and Diamond Rds. were doused as a precaution by Hillsboro firefighters, who spent less than two hours at the scene.

Last modified April 13, 2023