Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:
3:03 a.m. — A 2-month-old girl having trouble breathing was transferred by Marion ambulance from St. Luke Hospital, Marion, to NMC Health, formerly Newton Medical Center. The ambulance returned to Marion at 5:15 a.m.
1:41 p.m. — A 39-year-old man who reported being poisoned in the 200 block of W. 8th St. in Florence declined to be taken to a hospital by Marion ambulance. Ambulance attendants did ask, however, for a sheriff’s deputy to investigate the incident. Florence first responders were paged but did not answer.
9:36 p.m. — An 84-year-old woman who fell down stairs and may have hurt her head at a home in the 200 block of S. Main St. in Hillsboro was taken to NMC Health by Hillsboro ambulance. The ambulance did not return to Hillsboro until after midnight.
12:51 p.m. — A 56-year-old woman with pneumonia was taken by Marion ambulance to Hillsboro Community Hospital from the 200 block of Kansas St. in Lincolnville. Lincolnville first responders arrived four minutes after the call, eight minutes before the ambulance arrived.
Dispatches between 2:52 and 7:41 a.m. were not recorded because of a power failure.
7:44 a.m. — A confused, diabetic 65-year-old man with trouble breathing at a Cottonwood Point campsite at Marion Reservoir declined to be taken to a hospital by Marion ambulance.
4:19 p.m. — A report of a natural gas odor at an apartment in the 1200 block of E. Main St. in Marion was determined by Marion firefighters to have been a false alarm.
6:07 p.m. — A 73-year-old woman in the 1400 block of Denver St. in Marion was helped up by Marion ambulance attendants. She declined to be taken to a hospital.
7:34 p.m. — A second call to Marion ambulance for the same woman at the same residence resulted in a call to Marion firefighters for additional help lifting her. This time, the ambulance took her to St. Luke.
1:22 a.m. — A 59-year-old woman, weak and vomiting at a farmhouse near 210th and Sunrise Rds., was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.
10:08 a.m. — A 70-year-old woman who lost consciousness at Salem Home in Hillsboro was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance after the ambulance initially went to Parkside instead of Salem.
5:54 p.m. — A 68-year-old woman with an undisclosed condition was transferred by Marion ambulance from St. Luke to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita. The ambulance returned to Marion at 8:39 p.m.
6:12 p.m. — A field fire, possibly ignited by a vehicle that pulled over on US-56/77 north of 330th Rd., was extinguished within 20 minutes by Lost Springs firefighters. Early reports were that a vehicle had exploded and was on fire. Because of that, Lincolnville firefighters were dispatched as well, but that call was canceled after the report proved false.
8:43 a.m. — A 93-year-old woman with a previous hip fracture who fell from a chair at Bethesda Home in Goessel was taken to NMC Health by Hillsboro ambulance. Goessel first responders were paged but did not answer. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 10:31 a.m.
2:28 p.m. — A malfunctioning doorbell proved to be the source of smoke that caused Marion, Florence, and Hillsboro firefighters to be dispatched to a residence in the 200 block of S. Roosevelt St. in Marion. The calls for Florence and Hillsboro firefighters were quickly canceled.
4:18 p.m. — Tires that caught fire while a worker was using a cutting torch on a salvage vehicle inside a storage building south of Marion County’s transfer station were extinguished within 20 minutes by Marion firefighters.
5:02 p.m. — A call to Hillsboro ambulance to transfer a 57-year-old woman with a gastric perforation from HCH to McPherson Center for Health was canceled after HCH said the patient was not ready to be transferred.
8:12 p.m. — The delayed transfer occurred, but this time the patient with complications after surgery was taken not to McPherson but to Wesley. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 10:17 p.m.
9:28 p.m. — A 68-year-old woman having a seizure at Homestead Senior Residences, Marion, was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance. Dispatchers initially reported the address as being on N. Main St. rather than E. Main St.
9:05 a.m. — An 86-year-old man who fell in a hallway at a home in the 100 block of S. Floral St. declined to be taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance. Hillsboro first responders also were dispatched.
4:52 p.m. — A two-acre grass fire that started in a burn barrel at a farmhouse near 280th and Upland Rds. was extinguished within 30 minutes by Lincolnville firefighters.
5:58 p.m. — A 72-year-old woman, light-headed and bleeding from a finger at a residence in the 200 block of S. Madison St. in Hillsboro, was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.
8:22 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance returned to the address on Madison St. to help lift the wheelchair of the woman when she returning from the hospital.
Last modified June 22, 2023