• Last modified 230 days ago (Dec. 7, 2023)



Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:

NOV. 28

12:21 p.m. — Marion, Florence, and Hillsboro firefighters and Marion ambulance were dispatched for a report of a smoking electric outlet at Central National Bank in Marion. Marion firefighters took just 10 minutes to determine they weren’t needed. All other units were told to disregard the call.

2:17 p.m. — Marion firefighters spent less than 15 minutes turning off gas to a damaged meter behind Hett Construction at 1212 E. Main St. in Marion. The address initially was misreported as being 212 E. Main St.

9:26 p.m. — At a Peabody firefighter’s request, Peabody firefighters spent nearly an hour dealing with an unspecified structure fire in the 100 block of W. 2nd St. in Peabody. Peabody and Hillsboro ambulances and Florence firefighters also were dispatched but were told within 10 minutes to disregard the call.

NOV. 29

1:38 p.m. — A 30-year-old woman whom a caller thought might have suffered a seizure in the 100 block of S. Lincoln St. in Hillsboro declined to be taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.


12:25 p.m. — An uninjured 68-year-old woman who fell at Oakwood Manor apartments in Hillsboro was helped up by Hillsboro ambulance attendants. She declined to be taken to a hospital.

1:24 p.m. — Hillsboro fire fighters spent more than half an hour ventilating fumes from a significant gas leak at a home in the 200 block of S. Main St. in Hillsboro.

5:24 p.m. — An unauthorized controlled burn in the 200 block of N. Sycamore St. in Peabody was contained in less than 20 minutes by Peabody firefighters.

5:52 p.m. — Burns first responders determined that a 100-year-old woman accidentally activated a medical alarm at a farmhouse near 20th and Wagonwheel Rds. Marion ambulance, which also was dispatched, was told to stand down.

6:34 p.m. — A 43-year-old female dialysis patient not feeling well in the 300 block of N. Cincinnati St. in Burns was taken by Marion ambulance to Ascension Via Christi St. Francis Hospital in Wichita. Burns first responders provided initial care. The ambulance returned to Marion at 9:56 p.m.

8:19 p.m. — A 76-year-old woman needing to have an intravenous tube repositioned was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance from Parkside Homes to Hillsboro Community Hospital.


10:16 a.m. — A 74-year-old woman who initially told dispatchers she merely needed help getting up at a home in the 1400 block of Denver St. in Marion was taken to St. Luke Hospital, Marion, by Marion ambulance.

10:23 a.m. — With Marion ambulance still on its previous call, Hillsboro ambulance was dispatched for a 79-year-old woman who told dispatchers she thought she was about to have a seizure in the 100 block of N. Freeborn St. in Marion. A Marion police officer who arrived before the ambulance canceled the call and said the woman would be going to a hospital by private vehicle.

12:22 p.m. — Burns firefighters were called to investigate a natural gas odor in the 200 block of N. Washington Ave. in Burns but noted that the odor vanished soon after a gas company crew that had been installing odorant in pipes left the scene.

2:36 p.m. — A 74-year-old woman with a broken leg was transferred by Marion ambulance from St. Luke to NMC Health, formerly Newton Medical Center.

4:35 p.m. — Dispatchers told Hillsboro ambulance to transfer a 19-year-old man with appendicitis from HCH to McPherson Center for Health. At 5:57 p.m., after Hillsboro ambulance had been diverted to other calls and no other ambulances were available, the call was canceled and another means of transportation, unspecified by dispatchers, was found.

4:35 p.m. — Still en route back from Newton, Marion ambulance was told to go back to St. Luke to transfer a 54-year-old woman with abdominal pain to St. Francis. However, medics told dispatchers they would hold up on that transfer and instead handle the appendicitis transfer from Hillsboro. The appendicitis transfer then was switched to Peabody ambulance, with an added crew member from Marion, after the next call came in.

4:54 p.m. — Hillsboro and Marion ambulances and Goessel first responders and firefighters all went to a farmhouse near 170th and Alamo Rd. where a man with pneumonia was not breathing and cardiopulmonary resuscitation was being administered. At 5:37 p.m., medics called for a sheriff’s deputy and a coroner. Marion ambulance remained at the scene until 5:52 p.m. then stood by at HCH until Hillsboro ambulance was completed with the call at 7:03 p.m. After Marion ambulance left, Goessel first responders asked for Goessel firefighters to be paged to help lift. Dispatchers responded that they could not do that. First responders replied that they would call firefighters directly by phone.

5:34 p.m. — Another unexpected activation of a medical alarm by a 100-year-old woman at a farmhouse near 20th and Wagonwheel Rds. was assigned to Burns first responders and Marion ambulance, which was still at the farmhouse near Goessel. The call initially was switched to Tampa ambulance, but a medic aboard Marion ambulance suggested asking a Butler County ambulance to respond instead. It was, but at 5:46 p.m., first responders said the call for the ambulance could be canceled.


12:14 p.m. — A 69-year-old woman was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance to Kansas Heart Hospital, Wichita. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro shortly after 3 p.m.

8:48 p.m. — A 90-year-old woman who fell at Marion Assisted Living declined to be taken to a hospital by Marion ambulance.


12:28 a.m. — A fire alarm at Tabor College’s Harms Hall was determined by Hillsboro firefighters to have been a false alarm.


6:14 a.m. — A 20-year-old man with a history of epilepsy having seizure at Casey’s General Store in Marion was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.

9:20 a.m. — A 92-year-old man was transferred on a physician’s orders by Hillsboro ambulance from Betheda Home in Goessel to NMC Health. Goessel first responders were paged but did not answer. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 11:08 a.m.

6:19 p.m. — Two victims had to be extricated after a pickup and a semi-trailer truck loaded with shoes collided at K-256 and US-77. Nearly half an hour of checking with different air ambulance companies secured a helicopter to transport of one of the victim to a Wichita trauma center nearly an hour after the initial report of the accident. A second helicopter could not be arranged before firefighters alerted dispatchers at 6:37 p.m. that the second victim was dead at the scene. Marion and Hillsboro ambulances and Marion firefighters and rescue squad responded. They remained on the scene until 8 p.m. Marion ambulance was out of service for cleanup until 9:19 p.m.

Last modified Dec. 7, 2023