Broadcasts about these fire and ambulance calls were monitored this past week by the newspaper:
6:08 a.m. — A 42-year-old woman whose water broke during a high-risk pregnancy in the 100 block of E. Maria St. in Lehigh was taken by Hillsboro ambulance on an emergency basis to NMC Health, formerly Newton Medical Center. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 7:40 a.m.
11:33 a.m. — A vehicle fire at 4th and Locust Sts. in Peabody was extinguished in less than 10 minutes by Peabody firefighters.
1:18 p.m. — An 80-year-old woman throwing up at a home in the 100 block of E. 9th St. in Florence was taken to St. Luke Hospital, Marion, by Marion ambulance.
4:22 p.m. — A 95-year-old woman having trouble breathing at a home in the 500 block of N. Roosevelt St. in Marion declined to be taken to a hospital by Marion ambulance.
5:48 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance was told to stand down after a Peabody police officer was able to help an uninjured 82-year-old woman who fell get back in her wheelchair in the 700 block of N. Peabody St. in Peabody.
9:19 a.m. — A 50-year-old man who reportedly overdosed on five different types of pills then passed out at Coneburg Inn in Peabody was taken to NMC by Hillsboro ambulance. A lone attendant aboard Peabody ambulance provided initial evaluation of the patient. Hillsboro ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 10:59 p.m.
4:11 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance, firefighters, and rescue squad members were dispatched to a vehicle that had driven into a ditch and hit a tree near Indigo and 130th Rds. but the call quickly was canceled after dispatchers realized the accident had occurred a day earlier and already had been reported.
4:44 p.m. — A 63-year-old man with a swollen hand and arm at Parkside Homes assisted living in Hillsboro was taken to Hillsboro Community Hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.
6:35 p.m. — An uninjured 69-year-old woman who fell at Indian Guide Terrace apartments in Peabody was helped up by a Peabody police officer. Dispatches to Hillsboro ambulance and a lone attendant aboard Peabody ambulance were canceled.
2:46 p.m. — An 89-year-old woman having pain at a home in the 300 block of N. Ash St. after a fall several days earlier was taken to NMC by Hillsboro ambulance. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 4:52 p.m.
4:24 p.m. — An 86-year-old woman with breathing problems at a home in the 200 block of N. 3rd St. in Marion was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.
5:17 p.m. — A 63-year-old man with heart failure and pneumonia was transferred by Hillsboro ambulance from St. Luke to Kansas Heart Hospital, Wichita. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 7:54 p.m.
2:05 a.m. — A woman having respiratory issues at Salem Home in Hillsboro was transferred to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.
8:51 a.m. — A carbon monoxide alert at a home in the 500 block of N. Roosevelt St. in Marion was determined by Marion firefighters to have been a false alarm.
11:10 a.m. — A 20-year-old woman in pain at a home in the 400 block of W. B St. in Hillsboro declined to be taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.
1:11 p.m. — A 62-year-old man short of breath at a home in the 300 block of N. Roosevelt St. in Marion was taken to St. Luke by Marion ambulance.
12:01 p.m. — A fire alarm at Morning Star Church school northwest of Durham was determined by Durham firefighters to have been caused by a child accidentally activating an alarm box.
5:15 p.m. — A 92-year-old woman feeling ill at Parkside Homes assisted living was taken to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.
6:06 p.m. — En route to the county employees Christmas party, Hillsboro ambulance was diverted to HCH to transfer on a non-emergency basis an 87-year-old woman with breathing problems to Wesley Medical Center, Wichita.
6:39 p.m. — Marion ambulance initially was dispatched for an approximately 20-year-old woman found unconscious in a vehicle at 170th and Timber Rds. just south of Marion. The ambulance was told to stand down, however, after a sheriff’s deputy determined that a physician was with the woman and would take care of her.
4:11 a.m. — A 28-year-old woman with extreme swelling and trouble breathing at a home in the 300 block of N. Ash St. of Hillsboro after she was bit by a spider several days earlier declined to be taken to a hospital by Hillsboro ambulance.
5:20 a.m. — An uninjured 89-year-old woman who fell at a home near 190th and Kanza Rds. was helped up by Hillsboro ambulance attendants but declined to be taken to a hospital.
4:47 a.m. — An uninjured 69-year-old woman who fell at Indian Guide Terrace apartments in Peabody was helped up by Hillsboro ambulance attendants but declined to be taken to a hospital. Dispatchers initially failed to note that the call was in Peabody and did not page Peabody ambulance until asked to do so by Hillsboro ambulance attendants.
1:50 p.m. — An 80-year-old woman with atrial fibrillation was transferred by Marion ambulance from St. Luke to Wesley. The ambulance returned to Marion at 4:53 p.m.
5:37 p.m. — What initially was reported as a garage fire next to a propane tank in the 600 block of Cemetery Ln. in Burns turned out to be a lawnmower on fire. The fire was extinguished within 15 minutes by Burns firefighters. Peabody and Florence firefighters and Marion ambulance also were paged but were called off.
10:12 p.m. — A 78-year-old man who fell in the 400 block of Elm St. in Marion declined to be taken to a hospital by Marion ambulance.
Last modified Dec. 14, 2023