• Last modified 2614 days ago (June 28, 2012)


Emergency transports


2:20 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance transported to Hillsboro Community Hospital a patient whose automatic internal defibrillator had repeatedly activated. At one point during a transmission, an EMT indicated she had forgotten a portion of the patient’s vital signs. The ambulance crew waited for a LifeTeam air transport crew to arrive at Hillsboro Airport, transported the LifeTeam crew to the hospital and back to the airport with the patient, and returned to base at 4:26 p.m.

5:05 p.m. — Hillsboro ambulance was dispatched to HCH to transport a patient to Kansas Heart Hospital, Wichita. The ambulance returned to base at 8:26 p.m.

6:30 p.m. — With Hillsboro ambulance out of town, Marion ambulance was dispatched to the 200 block of S. Madison St. in Hillsboro for an 81-year-old woman who fell. Hillsboro fire provided directions en route. The ambulance arrived at 6:43 p.m., transported the patient to HCH at 6:59 p.m. and returned to Marion at 8:10 p.m.


8:02 a.m. — Goessel fire responded to an apparent false alarm involving a smoke detector.

8:55 a.m. — Hillsboro ambulance and Goessel first responders were dispatched to 110th and Indigo roads, eight miles distant from each community, for a possible stroke. Both arrived at 9:08 a.m. A 70-year-old patient was transported to Newton Medical Center at 9:38 a.m. The ambulance returned to Hillsboro at 10:44 a.m.

12:14 p.m. — Marion ambulance made a non-emergency transport from St. Luke Hospital to Newton Medical, returning to base at 2:24 p.m.

10:27 p.m. — During a heavy thunderstorm, Hillsboro fire and ambulance were dispatched to what appeared to be a false automatic alarm southeast of Hillsboro. During their response, they noticed a separate field fire, possibly caused by lightning, adjacent to 3rd Street on the north edge of Hillsboro. The fire was extinguished by 10:41 p.m.


8:40 a.m. — A roofer who apparently fell from a building in the 100 block of N. Main Street was transported to HCH by Hillsboro ambulance.

1:57 p.m. — Dispatch issued a call to Peabody fire for a single truck to wash down transmission fluid and antifreeze spilled in a non-injury accident on U.S. 50 on the west edge of Peabody. A voice on the Peabody fire frequency asked: “Who has identified that it is a 10-47 with no injuries?” After replying that the determination had been made by law enforcement officers on the scene, a dispatcher repeated the page a third, fourth, and fifth time but received no answer. At 2 p.m., the dispatcher asked the sheriff whether to call Florence firefighters instead. The sheriff responded: “It’s not that important. I’ll have the wrecker take care of it when they get here.” Transmission records are garbled, but it appears Peabody fire eventually responded at 2:07 p.m. and remained on the scene until 2:28 p.m.


3:14 a.m. — Marion fire and ambulance were dispatched to a residential fire on Back Bay Court at Marion County Park and Lake. Dispatch characterized the person reporting the fire as intoxicated. A second page was issued at 3:28 a.m. The fire was reported extinguished at 4:02 a.m., and firefighters were back in their station at 5 a.m. Firefighters later reported that one room was burned and the rest of the home suffered smoke and water damage.

9:17 a.m. — Goessel fire responded to an apparently false alarm at Bethesda Home.

1:01 a.m. — Hillsboro ambulance took an 88-year-old with chest pains from Bethesda Home to Newton Medical Center. Goessel first responders also were summoned but reported no one was available to handle the call. The ambulance was back in the station at 2:41 p.m.


6:53 p.m. — Florence ambulance and Burns first responders were dispatched to a staging area near the 100 block of S. Washington St. in Burns while a sheriff’s deputy dealt with a reportedly suicidal person said to be hallucinating. The ambulance eventually transported a patient to Prairie View Mental Health Center, Newton.

10:28 p.m. — Florence ambulance responded to a second-hand report of a possible heart attack in the 100 block of W. Fourth St. The patient called dispatch before their arrival to cancel the call and, upon the ambulance’s arrival, declined treatment.


4:57 a.m. — Marion ambulance made an emergency transfer from St. Luke to Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis, Wichita. The ambulance returned to Marion at 8:39 a.m.

1 p.m. — Burns fire provided assistance with a fire in Butler County, returning to Burns at 3:22 p.m.

2:33 p.m. — Marion ambulance made a non-emergency transfer from St. Luke to St. Francis.

4:06 p.m. — Florence fire and ambulance responded to a tractor fire near 80th and Bluegrass roads.

Last modified June 28, 2012