Fire destroys mobile home, kills pets
David and Kimberly Nunn lost most of their belongings when the mobile home they lived in at 814 W. 8th St., Lot G caught fire in the early morning hours Sunday.
The Nunns were not home when the fire broke out. Their two dogs were in their kennels inside the mobile home and died in the fire.
Marion County dispatch contacted Peabody Police and Peabody Fire Department at 1:42 a.m. The police officer on duty was the first to respond. His transmission said flames and smoke were visible and he was unable to enter the premises.
Dispatch records show the first firefighters arrived at 1:51 a.m.
Peabody firefighter Matt Litton said most of the structure was burning when the trucks arrived at the scene.
“The far eastern room was fully engulfed when we got there,” he said. “It was going pretty good.”
Litton said they were told right away about the pets in the mobile home.
“There really wasn’t anything we could do,” he said. “The fire had been going long enough we knew we couldn’t save them. It was just too late.”
Litton said the firefighters did not call for mutual aid from any other community.
“We decided we could handle it,” he said. “We got it knocked down.”
The State Fire Marshal was on the scene Sunday afternoon along with Peabody Fire Chief Mark Penner to investigate the fire. Penner later left for a scheduled trip to Oregon on family business.
Any information on the fire investigation will not be available until Penner’s return later this week.
The Red Cross has been in touch with the Nunns and has provided vouchers for lodging and meals until the family can arrange for a place to stay.
Last modified March 4, 2015