Fire erupts day before graduation
A Marion family’s home caught fire Friday, the day before a son’s high school graduation ceremony.
Tina and Roger Hoffner, 219 N. 1st St., have three children: Garrett, a high school senior who graduated Saturday, and twins Nathan and Natalie, 12.
Tina Hoffner said a passer-by, Susan Gray, spotted the fire and called her at Marion High School within 20 minutes of leaving the house that morning.
“I just happened to be here before I went down to decorate for graduation,” she said.
The fire began in the kitchen, although the cause has yet to be determined, Hoffner said.
Marion, Florence, and Hillsboro fire departments responded and quickly doused the flames.
Hoffner said the family is doing well and sheltering with a relative.
The fire won’t affect Garrett Hoffner’s post-graduation plans, his mother said.
Hoffner said she doesn’t yet know when repairs can begin.
“We still have two or three more insurance people to go through the house,” she said.
Besides the firefighters and Gray, Hoffner expressed thanks to Central National Bank, Tampa State Bank, and friends and family for bringing water to responders, support, and helping with the children.
Hoffner said she’s not aware of any assistance efforts at the current time.
“Right now we’re just waiting to know what the insurance does before we can figure out what we need,” she said.
Last modified May 16, 2018