ARCHIVE

  • Last modified 119 days ago (July 30, 2020)

MORE

Grants better late than never?

Staff writer

Although Marion, Hillsboro, and Peabody lost out in the first round of community development block grants to help local charities and businesses with losses and costs related to the COVID-19 epidemic, the cities received a total of $387,000 last week during the second round of grants.

Hillsboro received a $132,000 grant, Marion received a $167,000 grant, and Peabody received an $88,000 grant.

Twenty Marion businesses had requested $350,000, city administrator Roger Holter said. The $167,000 the city received includes grant administration, $35,000 for Marion County Resource Center and Food Bank and other feeding programs such as the senior center, and $117,000 for businesses.

“Obviously we’re glad the cities were awarded. It will allow us to help our businesses, but not as much as they originally requested,” Holter said.

Hillsboro mayor Lou Thurston also was glad the cities got grant money.

“Having the money for supporting Marion County, Marion, Hillsboro, and Peabody businesses is good,” Thurston said.

Marion County received a $167,000 grant June 1. Commissioners have not yet decided which businesses will get money, but applications are being considered.

Marion economic director Randy Collett said county clerk Tina Spencer suggested Tuesday that cities’ businesses leave their applications in the county’s list of applicants.

Collett said also that he’s heard some businesses might withdraw their applications.

“I’ve been told that some things came back and follow-up was needed and it was more onerous than some people thought,” Collett said.

Last modified July 30, 2020

 

X

BACK TO TOP