Lincolnville’s 1906 elevator razed and burned
The first grain elevator in Lincolnville, built in the 1890s, burned down. The second elevator, built in 1906 and 1907 on the same site, experienced the same fate, but this time, it was planned.
The elevator was taken down in the past two weeks, with metal parts set aside and lumber piled up and burned.
Ernst Lewerenz bought the elevator in 1909 and sold it to the Farmers Union Co-op Association in 1916.
After being replaced by a large cement silo elevator in 1956, the old elevator was used as a feed mill for many years. The building stood unused for quite some time and was a shell of its former self when it was razed.
Longest serving managers were Vince Kvaniska, 1916-1937, and H.C. Hartke, 1937 to 1954.
Last modified Jan. 19, 2019