100 years ago
march 28, 1912
The Santa Fe will not only put in a wide brick platform at their new station but will continue the brick across Third street perhaps 15 feet wide from the center of the track.
It is understood that the property owners on Main street between First and Walnut have been getting into this paving game and have a petition with enough signers to secure the extension of the paving to include that block. And if that is true, it is also good news.
Another big snow last Saturday—March 23. It was one of the heaviest snows of the season—perhaps 12 to 14 inches. But warm weather since has put it rapidly on the blink—very little snow left today. And this time, Gentle Annie, it is believed that Spring Has Came Already Yet.
The trial of the proprietor of the Elgin hotel for an alleged violation of the Prohibitory law was held in Justice Keller’s court on Tuesday. County Attorney Williams sought conviction on one count only, the alleged sale having taken place in February. The jury was out for several hours but was unable to agree. The majority were for acquittal.
Bob Meehan has closed up his business here and turned the garage over to the new owner, Fred Propp. Bob will continue in the auto business with Paul Assman at Tampa and will also work in the Bank part of the time.
The grade teachers entertained the high school teachers on last Saturday evening at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Brown Corby. It was given as a St. Patrick Day party and the decorations and menu carried out that thought.