100 years ago
august 8, 1912
The forms for the gutter and curbing are being put in on Main between Walnut and First streets. Quite a little of the curb and gutter will be put in before the laying of the pavement will begin.
Jos. Svitak is back from his trip to Europe and of course reports that he had a fine time. It was good to visit among the old scenes, but we will also guess that it is good to be back again.
Sheldon and Shanklin have opened a general garage business in the Wonderland building.
A small water main will be run down the alleys on both sides of Main Street where there is not already water connection, and all the connections for Main Street buildings will be made at the alley instead of in Main Street. This will be a great convenience and saving to property owners when they desire to make connection with the main since it will obviate tearing up the pavement. The big main on Main Street will, of course, be left and used for hydrant supply, but by cutting off the connections, or “corporations” as they are called, the source of most of the trouble from breaks will be prevented.
The first Sunday school in Marion County was organized forty-six years ago today in the old log schoolhouse that stood a little ways north of town. There were twelve or thirteen people present. Will Moulton was elected superintendent, A.E. Case, secretary, and Miss Shreves, treasurer.
Last modified Aug. 2, 2012