100 years ago
august 22, 1912
Marion lost one of its oldest pioneers and most widely known citizen August 19 when Dr. J.N. Rogers passed away at his home in Marion.
The grass on the schoolhouse ground was cut this last week and the place put in shape for the coming school year. Some passers-by remarked about how much better it made things look to have the grass trimmed up.
Fire was discovered at the septic tank building shortly after noon last Monday. When first seen it had practically destroyed the roof of the building. The two large motors were badly damaged and will have to be rewired. It is not known how the fire originated but it is thought that it caught from the electric wiring in some way. The loss will amount to about $500.
Mrs. E.W. Hoch left Wednesday to join Mr. Hoch in his last week of summer Chautauqua work. They expect to get back to Marion the first part of the week.
Mr. and Mrs. S.T. Howe came down from Topeka yesterday to attend the funeral of Dr. J.N. Rogers.
Two new school houses are being built in Marion County for the fall term of school. District 89, Logan Township, is putting up a splendid two-room building; District 17, Wilson Township, is also building a nice school house which will be a credit to the district.
Homer Hoch and Al Richardson are expected home from Colorado tomorrow.
Last modified Aug. 16, 2012