100 years ago
june 25. 1914
Through the kindness of Major Fred Lewis, the Marion Pharmacy has on display some excellent photographs of the new Memorial Hall in Topeka. Major Lewis certainly has reason to be proud of his connection with that big work.
The crowd in town last Saturday was the smallest of any Saturday for some time. In addition, the answer is easy—everybody is busy in the harvest field. But, there were many folks in to do their trading after supper.
Harvesters around here have been getting about two-fifty a day, and board. In some cases, three dollars has been paid.
The Grand will begin remodeling next week. The grocery stock will be moved to the rear of the room now occupied and in its place will be put the men’s furnishings department and the shoe department. The west room will be exclusively for dry goods and ladies’ ready-to-wear garments.
Any of the boys or girls who are taking part in the flower bed and lawn contests and who desire to have their work inspected, should phone to Supt. St. John or Mrs. Carl C. Ehrlich.
Mrs. G.E. Eye went to Delphos the last of the week for a two week’s visit with relatives. Dr. Eye took her up in the car, returning the next day. He made the trip home, 128 miles, in about five hours. Going up, they had bad luck and were ten hours or more on the road.
Last modified June 19, 2014