100 years ago
january 13, 1916
Clyde Loveless returned from St. Joseph last Saturday night, having spent the week there with T.J. Seneker selecting goods for the new store, which is to open about February 1. Mr. Seneker’s brother, D.L. Seneker, will move here and be actively connected with the store.
The Marion hospital has closed its first year and the report for the year is gratifying. Total number of patients for the year was 130. Of these, 99 were surgical and 31 medical patients. Total income for the year was $2676.88 and cash receipts were $2142.96.
Hearing that Fred Lewis was making a chiffonier out of some old native walnut lumber, the writer got from him an interesting story about the times when most of the lumber used around here was native stuff, sawed at the old portable saw mill which stood on the west bank of Mud Creek, east of where the Evangelical church now stands, away back in ’68 and ’69. Walnut, Cottonwood and Hackberry were sawed up into dimension stuff at this old mill and was largely used in the first buildings erected around here.
Six degrees below zero night before last and fourteen below last night—the lowest for several years. Weather moderating somewhat today.