00 years ago
july 13, 1916
The Marion County Old Settlers’ Association will hold its Annual Picnic here on Friday, August 11th. Effort is being made to have it one of the biggest and best affairs of the kind ever held in the county.
Work on the Seymour Packing Co.’s plant is progressing steadily. The reinforced concrete floor and the pillars supporting it and three or four feet of the walls above the floor were all poured in one piece. In addition to the main big building, there is a large one-story addition which is nearly all up. It is to be a great building.
J.H. Ogden, the photographer, has a fine new electric photo printer. It is a splendid addition to his equipment and does rapid and accurate work.
The city fire bell is being moved this week across Main street to a place just east of the big feed barn.
A general shifting has taken place this week among the garage people. Winkley Bros. have moved to Main and First street to what has been known as the Old Santa Fe Trail garage and want all Ford owners to take notice of the change. They will conduct both a Ford agency and a general auto repair business. Frank Hoover will run the garage next to the Record building, and will handle supplies. Thorp & Propp are moving their agency to the Ehrlich garage on West Main and a large addition is being built on the west of the present garage, for use as a storage room.
The City Commissioners have called for bids for the paving of Walnut street from Main to Washington—two blocks. This will complete the gaps to the Rock Island station.
Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Kelsey north of town are the parents of a son born Sunday, July 9th.