100 years ago
march 1, 1917
John Alexander, County Clerk, has gotten out a new map of Marion County and has received the first shipment from the map company the past week. The map is on linen cloth, about four by five feet in size and shows all towns, roads, tracts of land, with record owners names given, school houses, streams, oil wells etc. It is a fine piece of work. They are on sale at the County Clerk’s office.
The cornerstone of the new church at Aulne was laid the other day.
The Marion and Strassburg German Baptist congregations joined in a union service last Sunday evening in the old stone church building here, the service being the last one that will be held in the old building. The new building is under construction, on Walnut street, one block east of the Rock Island station.
Farmers and Drovers’ National Bank of Marion, for which a charter was recently granted, has bought the east room of the Wheeler building—the room now occupied by the Sandberg Drug Co. The bank becomes owner only of the first floor. The bank will put in a new steel ceiling and tile floor.
Carson Martin of Route 4 returned the last of the week from his Wisconsin trip. He purchased a carload of Holsteins, one cow and the rest yearling heifers, to stock their dairy farm. They were purchased from the famous Edgewater Stock Farm.