100 years ago
december 29, 1921
Despite the high cost of labor and of all kinds of building material, the year 1921 has been one of remarkable building activity in Marion. It is doubtful if any year in the town’s history has witnessed its equal in this respect.
While national statesmen, governors and mayors were urging people everywhere as a patriotic duty to do all the building and repairing possible to help solve the unemployment problem, Marion “sawed wood and said nothing” on the theory that “actions speak louder than words.” And now the old town is willing to compare notes with any of them.
A thoroughly modern high school on E. Main street heads the list, followed by the handsome Christian Church on Elm street.
The following review of building operations for the year in the business district includes: C.C. Johnson’s new brick building on Main street between second and third; new front on Carl Sheldon’s jewelry store; W.H. Thompson built new building on south second street for his undertaking business; the room occupied by the Thorp office was remodeled.
New residences include John Powers’ new residence on the hill just below the Christian church and Adam Seifert’s new commodious brick home that is an elegant addition to Walnut street, plus at least ten more new residences and several additions and remodeling of residences ranging in costs from $200 to $2520.
A conservative estimate of the cost of building activities during the year is $325,000,000.
Last modified Dec. 23, 2021