125 years ago
february 5, 1892
The grippe is losing its grip in this community.
According to announcement, a meeting was held on the evening of Jan. 26th in the parlors of the Elgin, for the purpose of organizing a Women’s Columbian Club. The two lady members of the State Board of Commissioners being present, they gave the ladies exceedingly entertaining talks in regard to the Woman’s Building and what is expected and desired of the women of the country in connection with the World’s Fair.
Loveless & Sacket’s mammoth double store front has been adorned with a new awning.
Mr. Fred Tidyman, of the well-known furniture firm of Barrows & Tidyman, has returned from the east and wants us to say that while he was away he bought a fine lot of new furniture, which he wants everybody to see before they buy elsewhere.
Our esteemed fellow-citizen, Mr. David Wheeler, Sr., has received, through the efforts of Mr. W.C. Reiff, renewal of lost documentary evidence from Washington in a matter in which he takes pardonable pride. It is a certificate of the fact that as a member of Battery Second U.S. Artillery, he was officially granted a certificate of merit for bravery at the battle of Chapultepec, Sept. 13, 1847.
Sylvester Drake’s lunch business opposite the court house has grown to such proportions that he has been compelled to enlarge his quarters, again.