140 years ago
april 4, 1879
Another old landmark is gone. The old Rouse blacksmith shop has been torn down. Fred thought the dilapidated structure didn’t look well for a live railroad centre, and so has removed it, and thereby greatly improved the appearance of his otherwise handsome and desirable property.
Mrs. Tamiet has sold her house to Mr. Woods, who will at once open a boarding house and restaurant therein. Mrs. Tamiet will keep her millinery stock in part of the building, until her new building, which she intends to erect immediately, is completed. Her new building will be on Main street opposite Costello’s store.
One of our pet projects when assuming the duties of councilman, a year ago, was to have a town well dug somewhere on Main street, but the project met with no encouragement, and to second the effort to get the city out of debt, we dropped the subject.
Now, we hope the incoming council will provide this much needed improvement. It is a wise policy in a town to do all it can to accommodate farmers and strangers who visit and patronize it and a good convenient town well is a great accommodation to all such.
The city is about out of debt, and now let us have a town well, the first thing.
Last modified April 3, 2019