140 years ago
may 16, 1879
Grading on the Marion & McPherson railroad has commenced, and the work will be pushed rapidly from this time on. We confidently expect the cars to run into Marion Centre by the first of July.
Initial steps have already been taken looking to a grand celebration in old fashioned and new fashioned style of our nation’s natal day at Marion Centre.
A project is on foot to put a town clock in the Court House cupola. In fact there is no end to the new projects on foot in this city of wonders.
Since our last issue, ground has been broken and work is briskly progressing on Dr. Rogers’ business building—which is to be a fine two-story structure similar to the Cottonwood Valley Bank, to which it will join.
As we stood on the banks of the Muddy near the bridge, the other day, and saw a man cutting down the largest tree in sight—a majestic and beautiful Elm—we could not help exclaiming, “Woodman, spare that tree.” We exceedingly dislike to see these stately old forest trees go down.