140 years ago
august 29, 1879
Mr. McInturff, the new photographer, has taken some very fine views of the scenery around here.
Morse’s lumber yard assumes an air of business with the genial Carter as salesman.
We can’t begin to “keep run” of the new houses springing up like magic all over town.
The large upper room of the school house has been partitioned and sixty feet of black board put in.
Mr. Crane has purchased the house where Bid McCrary lives and will raise the walls and make a stone house out of it.
Wm. G. Bates, the popular proprietor of the Peanut Stand, claims the honor of receiving the first general freight over the M. & M.
The new eighty-acre addition to the city of Marion Centre on the south, adds some fine property to the corporation. It includes the depot and several lots surrounding it already selected for business purposes such as coal yards etc., and crossing the creek “takes in” a fine body of land on the hill desirable for residence locations. It is a fine addition and would make a pretty good sized town itself.
Last modified Aug. 28, 2019