• Last modified 321 days ago (Sept. 7, 2023)


Sept. 13, 1878

A German girl living on Section 35 had her left arm broken twice while trying to lead a cow. Dr. Wright set the fractured limb, and to all appearances it is doing well.

City of Marion Centre officials are R.C. Coble, mayor; E.W. Hoch, J.M. Corbett, M.H. Stone, John S. Christie, G.M. Knox, councilmen; E.N. Eby, police judge; R.M. Crane, city clerk and attorney; G.M. Knox city treasurer; and J.H. McAlister, city marshal.

Battey’s Band serenaded Prof. Bogle and bride Tuesday night.

There has been a deal of moving around recently. Mr. Knox moved out of Mrs. Sharon’s house. and Major Bown moved in. Mr. Myers moved to Peabody, and Mrs. Tubbs moved into the house left vacant by Mr. Myers. Charlie Mehl moved into the rooms over Costello’s store, and Judge Williams moved into Mr. Mehl’s recent residence. The Misses Mawherter moved into their new dwelling, and Mr. Shackelford moved into the boarding house vacated by the above named ladies. Undersheriff Smith moved into the Lank Moore house.

There has been an unprecedented amount of sickness in Marion County during the past few months, mainly of a bilious nature.

Cool weather has aroused the annual effort to fix the church for winter use. It’s a pity the town can’t permanently fix its only place of worship so that attendants upon divine service won’t have to do penance every Sunday, for that’s what shivering in a cold uncomfortable church means.

Last modified Sept. 7, 2023