• Last modified 1939 days ago (April 30, 2014)


may 7, 1964

The Rock Island depot has been closed. Marion now has but one train station and no trains. The little depot building is being prepared to move, and will be taken away within a few days, it is understood.

Tom Poppe, son of Mr. and Mrs. Vernon Poppe of Lincolnville, placed 12th out of 106 contestants Saturday at the state spelling contest in Topeka.

Karen Dvorak and Donald Druse were united in marriage April 25 at St. John Nepomucene Catholic Church, Pilsen. Msgr. Arthur Tonne read the vows.

The appointment of Richard E. Nelson of Burdick to the Air Force Academy was announced April 25 by Congressman Garner E. Shriver. The son of Mr. and Mrs. Hedrick Nelson, he will graduate May 25 from Centre High School.

The Marion Warriors track team took second place at the league meet in Hillsboro last Saturday. Members of the team include Dick Hamlin, Max Jackson, Bob Olsen, Bob Boese, Dennis Swanson, Larry Fowler, Max Miller, Ed Parrack, Bob Elling, Bob Hoch, and Gilbert Johnson.

Dr. R.R. Melton of Marion and Dr. A.C. Eitzen of Hillsboro have been elected to the board of trustees of the Hertzler Research Foundation of Halstead.

Weekend specials at the Peter Pan Ice Cream Store include half gallons of ice cream at 59c each, and a 3-dip cone, 10 cents.

Last modified April 30, 2014