55 years ago
august 9, 1951
One of a series of meetings to be held in several Kansas localities to stimulate replacement and repair of homes damaged by the flood will be held in Marion City Building at 9:30 a.m. Aug. 16. The meeting will be led by a group of federal officials from the Housing and Home Finance Agency.
The city governments of both Marion and Florence have received additional funds from the emergency flood relief funds set up by the government to replace and repair damaged facilities. In both cities, the main bridges were damaged, especially the abutments and approaches.
Marion City Building auditorium is back in shape and can be scheduled for use, according to city clerk Keith Kelsey. The basement still has much work to be done before it is back in commission.
Volunteer workers, as well as the regular librarians, are working overtime to try to get things in shape for the library to re-open soon. The walls have been painted, some shelving repaired, and many books sorted and catalogued. A list is being kept of each donated book and the names of donors recorded.
Judy Coons, Billie Herbert, Carmen Siebert, Connie Long, and Nancy Keazer are at Camp Wood, Elmdale, this week.
Copies of the Marion High School “Warrior,” the annual for 1950, will be distributed at a special “Annual Party” Aug. 13 at the high school. All students are invited.
Six persons were winners of door prizes at the recent opening of Bud’s Conoco Station. They are Dr. J.E. Tibbetts, Henry Hoffman, Hurshel Raleigh, Mrs. Ed McClain, Paul Keazer, and Elizabeth Coons.
One of the more interesting sports events of the season is slated to be held at Lincolnville Aug. 19 when an old fashioned “Coon Dog Field Day” will be held. John White is manager of the event and Lloyd “Pappy” Hosfelt is the official bookkeeper.
Last modified Aug. 4, 2021