60 years ago
august 16, 1951
The first of a number of homes to be moved from the valley to the hill is pictured as it crosses the bridge on Main Street. The house belongs to Mr. and Mrs. Arnold Schwemmer and is being moved the 700 block on Hudson Street.
Announcement is made this week of the sale of the insurance agency business of the late Clyde Loveless to Wm. H. Ward of Marion.
The hot lunch equipment and program for Marion schools this winter is almost completed and will be ready for operation soon after the start of school, according to Superintendent A.J. Shull. Mrs. Paul Minear has been contracted to manage the new activity.
The “Cubby Hole” Lunch, popular local eating-place run for many years by the late Emory Hawbecker, will be open for business again Aug. 17. Harry Roseberry, who with his family, is moving to Marion from Chicago, will operate it.
One thing the floods apparently have done, they have re-supplied the fishing holes on the Cottonwood River and Mud Creek with a new stock of fish. Reports have come in up and down the streams of fine catches in recent days.
The Coon Dog Field Trials originally scheduled at Lincolnville for this Sunday have been postponed until next Sunday.