60 years ago
april 7, 1955
The modern new home Mr. and Mrs. A.R. Hett built in the 400 block of Elm Street is featured this week as one of the new homes in Marion. The house was constructed by Mr. Hett with the help of their son, Junior.
City crews were continuing their change-over of the former city dump to the new site just west of the old one. The city has made arrangements with Pearl Ratts, owner of the land, to improve his property by filling in the old river channel there.
Jack Scott, expert stonecutter and one of the artisans who worked on the construction of the county courthouse, died at St. Luke Hospital April 4. Scott later became owner of the Marion Marble and Granite Works, where he was actively engaged until 1953 when ill health caused his retirement from active work.
Mrs. Charles Heerey has had word from her husband, Corporal Heerey, that he has returned to his base in Frankfurt, Germany, from a 15-day visit with relatives at different points in Ireland.
On Saturday, April 2, a group of young friends helped Jimmy Ottensmeier celebrate his 7th birthday, which was April 1. All enjoyed playing games in the park, then were taken for treats at the Dairy Queen. Guests were Charles Atherton, Dennis Maggard, Darold Longhofer, Dennis Conyers, George Jackson, Steven Knalson, Bobby Hoch, Dennis Swanson, Bobby and Garry Klose, Richard Hume, and Jimmy’s sister, Anita Kay.