60 years ago
june 2, 1955
A large crane, bulldozer and dump truck this week quickly erased the remaining wounds and scars of the fire that demolished the 3-story YMCA building at the corner of Fifth and Main streets several months ago. Plans are underway to make the space a bright, modern used car lot for Cook Motor Company.
Robert L. Novak, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Novak, Lost Springs, received his diploma as a doctor of veterinary medicine from Kansas State College at the 1955 spring commencement exercises May 29. He will be associated with Dr. N.D. Stanley of Hope.
Mrs. Alvin Propp announces the engagement of her daughter, Wanda Lou, to Ralph Richmond, son of Mr. and Mrs. Clyde Richmond. No definite wedding plans have been made.
Five former Marion County girls were among the graduating class at St. Francis School of Nursing, Wichita. They are Donna Chizek, Ramona; Vera Tajchman, Tampa; Beatrice Steiner, Durham; and Pat Heerey and Phyllis Blankley, Marion.
Mr. and Mrs. Harry Weibert have reopened their Owl Car Café this week after being closed several days for redecorating. Several new pieces of equipment have been added and the interior remodeled and completely redecorated.