ARCHIVE

  • Last modified 91 days ago (May 22, 2019)

MORE

may19, 1949

The city commission this week passed an ordinance clearing up one of the more confusing Marion street designations. Grand Avenue, which in reality is East Main Street, continued from the jog at Cedar Street east to the city limits. It now has its name changed and will be known simply as Main Street.

Pictured on the front page are two men at the pinnacle of the courthouse tower installing the new police radio antenna.

Four new houses are under construction in Marion. Mr. and Mrs. Ezra Bernhardt are building in the 200 block of North Cedar; the Homer Reinkes on South Roosevelt, the Virgil Wiebes on North Freeborn; and the Arvel Strongs on Nickerson.

Dr. W.H. Upton, secretary of the Wichita Council of churches, will be the speaker at the annual commencement exercises of Marion High School May 20. Thirty-five graduating seniors will take part in the ceremony.

A new ice cream store opened for business this week. It is the Meadowbrook Ice Cream Store owned by Meadowbrook Creamery of Emporia and operated by Mr. and Mrs. Al Hunt. It is located in the Bogart building where the Hungerford Confectionary formerly was located.

Last modified May 22, 2019

Quantcast