70 years ago
july 14, 1949
Pvt. Howard K. Slifer, another of Marion’s war dead, will be reinterred at Marion Cemetery Sunday afternoon. Ecker-Fulkerson-Slifer VFW Post No. 6958 will conduct the services.
Pvt. Slifer, who died Nov. 9, 1943, on Figi Island, served in Australia, New Caledonia, Guadalcanal, and Figi Island. His death was the result of wounds from a defective artillery shell that fell short while on maneuvers.
The new cement block building under construction at Schroeder Produce, 5th and Main, is nearing completion. The new part will be used in front for display and the rear part will be used for feed storage. Ralph Popp is doing the work.
Andrew J. Thomas, formerly of Marion, is reported to have been stricken with heart trouble at the home of his son in Port Angeles, Washington.
Many remember him as foreman on the W.P.A. project that built the picnic units, stone arch bridges, horseshoe grounds, and other stone work at the county lake.
He built the first commercial bake oven in Marion, at the old Pete Magathan café. He also cut the stone arch entrance to the Presbyterian Church, was foreman of the county bridge gang, and supervised construction of many of the scenic bridges in this county.
Last modified July 18, 2019