75 years ago
april 1, 1948
With about 40 head of the finest herefords in Marion County entered by 10 breeders in the annual hereford show Saturday, the day promises to be a treat for cattlemen and spectators alike.
In a major business transaction, the Western Auto Associate Stone at 314 E. Main St. has been sold by George H. Miser to Ed McClain of Wichita. McClain already has taken over management of the store.
Beginning April 5, all three schools will begin the day at 8:20 a.m. and close at 4 p.m., lengthening the day one hour through the school year. The move is necessary to make up time lost when there was insufficient fuel to heat school buildings.
James Blackim has applied for a visitor’s visa to Ireland and Scotland. He plans to leave New York on June 2 aboard the S.S. American. He will spend 2½ months visiting relatives and friends.
Boy Scouts will carry out a community-wide drive for scrap iron and steel beginning April 5. Sale of the scrap will go toward helping the Scouts pay for tools, material, and equipment for their “Hobby Shop,” being established in the Case building above Jackson’s clothing store.
County Attorney Charles Ward and Sheriff Lloyd Davies continue to question county residents about alleged gambling and liquor activity in the county.
Last modified March 29, 2023