MEMORIES IN FOCUS: Turn-of-the-century family gathering years ago
Members of three of Marion’s leading families gathered for a turn-of-the-century photo shortly before the death of one of their key members.
Joe Bowron (1817-1901), in a checked tie at left in the back row, was a leading city merchant who, in 1887 opened the historic building that still bears his name on the northwest corner of Main and 3rd Sts.
Joining him was his grandson, Charles Bowron (1871-1939), in a straw hat just to his left.
In front of them were Charles’s wife, Annie (1864-1959), and (at far left) Charles’s and Annie’s son, Roger Bowron (1884-1916).
Annie’s father was longtime Marion physician Joseph Hannaford. He was not photographed here, but the photograph does show his siblings, Will Hannaford (1858-1914) at far right and, from left next to Annie, Nanie (1860-1933) and Lulu (1861-1915).
Sitting in Nanie’s lap and in the front row were some of the children of another sibling, Margaret Hannaford Frazer, who was not photographed. Her husband, Fred, also not photographed, served for several years as mayor around this time.
The boy in Nanie’s lap was Sam Frazer (1896-1974) and sitting in front were, from left, Beth Frazer (1894-1978), Aline Frazer (1887-1988), and Clara Frazer (1891-1959).
Two other children and an unidentified visitor from out-of-state also appear in the photo.
Last modified Jan. 24, 2019