MEMORIES IN FOCUS: Only the names have changed
Looking little different than it does today, this 2½-story home at 802 Denver St., now owned by James and Nancy Cloutier, was built in 1909 by banker C.C. Minton.
His daughter, seventh grader Harriet, and her friend J. Edna Frazer (later Shahan), posed on the front lawn soon after construction was completed.
Minton, who had moved to Marion in 1898, was a co-founder and cashier of Marion State Bank until its merger with the State Bank of Commerce.
In 1912, he and his family left for Mountain View, California, where he became involved banking and lumber and was elected town mayor.
A longtime asthma sufferer, he took ill and died after a brief trip back to Marion in 1914. Harriet went on to marry Rodney Loomer Mott, who became a distinguished professor of government and jurisprudence at Colgate University, Hamilton Village, New York. She died there in 1965 and he died six years later.
Both girls had been active in school and civic events in Marion, and the two of them along with several other girls had a slumber party at the Minton house in 1912, just before the Mintons left.
Harriet was a noted pianist and Edna an athlete on both track and basketball teams. Edna worked at several stores and at Hannaford and Gardner Abstract before becoming assistant county treasurer and in 1926 married Paul Shahan, best known as a Marion postmaster.
He died in 1980 and she died in 1986. Both are buried in Marion Cemetery.
The house later was owned by Rosse Case and, until recently, by Rosse’s grandson, also named Rosse.
Last modified Oct. 25, 2018