• Last modified 760 days ago (June 16, 2022)


Other help also available for seniors hit by economy

Other sources of help are available for those struggling with rising prices.

Mid-Kansas Community Action Program provides money for weatherizing homes to lower energy costs and help with rent or mortgage payments.

It also helps pay for housing for up to 18 months if an applicant meets income guidelines and is in danger of losing his or her home.

More information is available at (316) 775-3000.

Marion County department on aging helps with filling out paperwork for state and county programs including energy assistance programs, grants, loans, and housing vouchers.

One helps people pay rent, and another program pays 80% of security or utility deposits.

The department on aging also helps people apply for grants or loans for home repairs.

Although Main Street Ministries in Hillsboro doesn’t provide money for housing assistance, it might be able to help in other ways, director Stephanie Moss said.

Terry Bebermeyer, director of Families and Communities Together, said FACT could provide money as long as funding remains available.

“We can help families with up to $150 one time in 12 months,” Bebermeyer said. “We help with diapers, gas cards if they need assistance to get to medical appointments or work, those kinds of assistance, with limited availability.”

FACT also refers people to other assistance agencies such as Salvation Army and ministerial associations.

The organization can be reached by email at or by phone at (620) 947-3184, option 5.

Last modified June 16, 2022